Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 05 Dec 2023
  • I've been without a pellet pit a few years.  I have been missing it more and more as I increasingly have trouble attending my other smokers on long night smokes and bad weather.

So–A few minutes ago I placed an online order for a MAK 2-Star.  I don't know when it'll arrive.

I suspect that it'll be my most frequently used pit.  I'm already planning to thin the herd.
  • #2 by dk117 on 06 Dec 2023
  • congratulations!  Please document your experience.  Shipping, burnoff/seasoning, first cook.  It's always enlightening to see a tenured pitmaster start out on a new pit. 
  • #3 by hughver on 06 Dec 2023
  • That is one nice grill. If I were 57 years old instead of 87, that is the one I would have bought. congratulations on your new acquisition.
  • #4 by Bentley on 06 Dec 2023
  • Hope you enjoy it.  There are a few on here that love theirs!
  • #5 by Canadian John on 07 Dec 2023

•    NEW TOY, NEW JOY.

I am sure you will enlighten us with your experiences as they occur.

• #6 by urnmor on 09 Dec 2023
  • Congratulations I have had mine for years and love it. IMO MAC's customer service is the best around
  • #7 by pmillen on 09 Dec 2023
  • FedEx projects delivery on December 12.  Assembly will probably take place in a few days.
  • #8 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2023
  • Are you a smoked cheese guy?
  • #9 by pmillen on 10 Dec 2023
  • Are you a smoked cheese guy?

I haven't been very fond of smoked cheese but I smoked some a few years ago and gave most of it away.  The MAK's Warmer/Smoker Box is supposed to run about 100°F cooler than the main chamber so with any luck at all I can maintain proper cheese cold smoking temperatures.  So I'll test it during the winter.  I'll seal a bunch and give them as Christmas presents next year.

Why do you ask?
  • #10 by Bentley on 10 Dec 2023
  • I remember when I Performance Tested the 2 Star on Pelletheads in 2011, cold smoking was one of the features I tested.  Did some cheese, bacon and a couple of other items I can't remember.  It performed Cold Smoking well.  I was just wondering if you would avail yourself of that feature.
  • #11 by elenis on 02 Jan 2024
  • I remember when I Performance Tested the 2 Star on Pelletheads in 2011, cold smoking was one of the features I tested.  Did some cheese, bacon and a couple of other items I can't remember.  It performed Cold Smoking well.  I was just wondering if you would avail yourself of that feature.

Your performance test was what I read that helped me decide on my Mak 2 Star when I ordered it. Still works great, just had to get a firmware update for it at one point and I bought the flashfire unit to replace the old heating rods that Mak used to do in the smokers.
Pages:
Actions