Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 18 Dec 2023
  • Did not have as much Masa Harina as I thought, so I put some corn meal through the spice blender to supplement.  About 5 cups, 2 cups beef broth, a few spices and 1/2 cup lard.  Waiting for the beef to cool and I will stuff and steam.

• #2 by Bentley on 18 Dec 2023
  • How wet should the masa be and how long should they cook in the steam.  I wish I had an Abuela to guide me!  Gonna try 45 minutes and see if we get lucky!

• #3 by pmillen on 18 Dec 2023
  • I admire your ability to forge ahead and try when you don't have clear instructions.

It's not my style as you'll see from the tone of my next post on how to use the flame zone on my new MAK.
  • #4 by Bentley on 18 Dec 2023
  • Masa will be moister next time and I will make sure I have enough Masa Harina too!  I think the attempt to make masa harina from corn meal failed!  Way to dense!
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 19 Dec 2023
  • You can search Cocina Con Rosalba on YouTube.  She cooks all kind of things but her videos are in Spanish.  I can usually understand enough of what is going on to figure it out.  You might be able to get cook times and pick up some tips.  There are probably other folks that are in English.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 19 Dec 2023
  • Any shots of the finished product?

Not sure where I would find corn wrappers at around here unless I was luck enough to find some corn still standing.
  • #7 by Bentley on 19 Dec 2023
  • I will try and show one when I seal them.  Any Mexican market...or I think I bought these at Wal-mart!
  • #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 19 Dec 2023
  • This is a good description of the differences between corn meal and masa harina.

https://www.eddiesmexicanrestaurant.com/can-you-substitute-cornmeal-ground-up-dried-corn-for-masa-harina-nixtamalized-or-soaked-corn/#Cornmeal%20&%20Masa%20Harina%20Are%20Made%20of%20Dried%20Corn

I have never tried to add corn meal. The masa harina bags are pretty large and they get buggy before I can finish them (though I have vacuumed sealed my heirloom masa)
  • #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 19 Dec 2023
  • If you can find corn husks any time it will be now. They are a Christmas and New Years staple since making them is a good group activity.
  • #10 by Hank D Thoreau on 19 Dec 2023
  • Bently, I have a post on making tamales. There is a link to it at the beginning of the Mexican Food thread.
  • #11 by Bentley on 20 Dec 2023
  • I know how to do them, just did not have enough ingredients to do them right.  And I did forget the process of making masa hafnia and corn meal.  One reason the work around was a huge failure!
Pages:
Actions