Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Dec 2023
  • Second day of rain, so spent time watching the Pioneer Woman.  She made something called a "bread bomb" -- I guess it is the hottest thing on the internet.  Pretty simple.  You get the frozen dinner rolls, let them thaw, take one and roll out in a thin circle like a small pizza crust.  Then put in about 1 Tbsp of filling, pinch shut, put some egg wash on it and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Looked easy enough and sounded good.

Her filling was cream cheese, fontina, shredded chicken and chopped artichoke hearts.  That sounded ok but not over the top.  I liked the cream cheese and fontina, but was trying to think of other fillings.  Not big on sausage although it would probably be great.  Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas for fillings?
  • #2 by Hank D Thoreau on 27 Dec 2023
  • This looks like the kind of thing you can experiment with like I did with egg cups on the breakfast thread.

I checked to see if you had to avoid meat to keep the bread from getting soggy, but it seems to be fine.

I am thinking things that you would put in an empanada or meat pie would be interesting.

Cheese seems to the be the most common which is why I am thinking something very different.
  • #3 by pmillen on 27 Dec 2023
  • Yeah, experiment.  Think about things you might put into calzones.  These come to mind–

• ricotta cheese
    • grated Parmesan Cheese
    • grated mozzarella cheese
    • diced Italian sausage
    • diced deli ham
    • chopped broccoli
    • chopped green and/or red bell pepper
    • diced chicken breast (consider flavoring with siracha or Buffalo wing sauce)
    • finely chopped red onion
    • sliced mushrooms
    • olives (pitted and sliced)
    • chopped spinach (if frozen then thaw and squeeze dry)
    • baby shrimp (frozen cooked, thawed and drained)
    • raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
    • tuna chunks (canned is okay)
    • dried and salted cod (rehydrated and desalinated)
    • a little tomato sauce

Whatever you fill them with, add–
    • chopped parsley
    • dried Italian seasoning

EDIT:  Formatting
  • #4 by Bentley on 27 Dec 2023
  • Somethings just set off my memory!  Skip to the 2:30 mark if you wanna get to the punchline!

• chopped broccoli

Derek Stevens Audition - SNL
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 27 Dec 2023
  • some cheese steak chopped up or even ground meat with the peppers, onions, cheese and mushroom. all cooked and drained ingredients. Buffalo chicken dip type of filling, Taco met with your favorite add ins, pizza filling.

Then you have Peanut butter and Strawberry jelly, apple pie filling most any pie filling I would guess.

Trying to remember all the things we made in the mountain pies over the summers.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 27 Dec 2023
  • Somethings just set off my memory!  Skip to the 2:30 mark if you wanna get to the punchline!

• chopped broccoli

Derek Stevens Audition - SNL

I was singing that to the GF the other day, she thought i was crazy.
  • #7 by pmillen on 28 Dec 2023
  • #8 by Darwin on 28 Dec 2023
  • Try a couple with the cheese, toasted nuts and dried tart cherries.   Gourmandise was my inspiration for this.
  • #9 by MysticRhythms on 28 Dec 2023
  • My wife suggested brie, chopped walnuts and honey.
    I was leaning more toward sandwich makings. Ham and Swiss, turkey and cheddar, etc.
Pages:
Actions