Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jon515 on 30 Dec 2023
  • I did a point and flat yesterday. Smoked until 165 @225 foiled and moved to the oven. Cooked until 202 (probe tender) FTC to rest for 3 hours then into the fridge. I took it out this morning to sample and it seems hard and dry. I put the flat in the sous vide to see if that helps. Any ideas? ( for rub I used mustard, s&p and injected beef broth (maybe not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2 by Bentley on 30 Dec 2023
  • When a piece of beef like that is refrigerated, the fat will congeal and harden.  I would of thought when reheated it would have softened.
  • #3 by urnmor on 30 Dec 2023
  • You did not say how you rested it. Did you wrap in towels and rest in a cooler.  I believe this might have allowed some of the juices to be reabsorbed to include some of the fat.  Also did you sample it before you placed it in the fridge.  Many say a brisket is one of the most difficult to cook. I know i certainly have had my challenges with a few
  • #4 by Canadian John on 31 Dec 2023

•  Classical dumb question.  Could the brisket have been on the dry side prior to cooking?  Freeze thaw cycling &/or wrapping. 
  • #5 by Jon515 on 01 Jan 2024
  • You did not say how you rested it. Did you wrap in towels and rest in a cooler.  I believe this might have allowed some of the juices to be reabsorbed to include some of the fat.  Also did you sample it before you placed it in the fridge.  Many say a brisket is one of the most difficult to cook. I know i certainly have had my challenges with a few
    . It was wrapped in foil and then placed in the cooler with a towel.  The reheat made it much better as mentioned about the fat just cooled and got hard.
  • #6 by elenis on 02 Jan 2024
    . It was wrapped in foil and then placed in the cooler with a towel.  The reheat made it much better as mentioned about the fat just cooled and got hard.

I wrap my briskets in butcher paper once they get the color I am looking for to finish, but I have definitely found the meat needs to cook up to the right temperature and be the right level of warm when you slice it for it to have that, for a lack of a better word to describe it, floppy level of done we are looking for. 
Pages:
Actions