Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 08 Jan 2024
  • We have lots of company coming this week, so I picked up an 8+lb. choice tenderloin at Costco. My first chore is to effectively trim it. I could have bought one already peeled (trimmed) but they only had prime at $34/lb. No choice. You save ~$10/lb. by trimming it yourself. there are several good videos on YouTube showing how to do it, so I'm going to give it a try. Pictures to follow, if I don't screw it up too bad. Game plan is to cut into two roasts, season, sear and smoke to 130°. Any suggestions for seasoning?
  • #2 by pmillen on 08 Jan 2024
  • Pappy's Prime Rib Rub is my current best choice, but if you had any you wouldn't be asking for suggestions.

So—Thinking about something that you probably have on hand, I suggest Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  • #3 by hughver on 08 Jan 2024
  • Thanks Paul, I do have Pappy's rib rub, but I have not used it very much. I'll give it a try. I'm doing a NY roast for tonight's guest and will try it on that also. Tenderloin is for Wednesday and Sunday.
  • #4 by pmillen on 08 Jan 2024
  • Kristin agrees with me.  See her comments here and follow-up comments later in the thread.
  • #5 by hughver on 09 Jan 2024
  • I'm sorry, but in the heat of the activity, I forgot to take pictures, but this is what was left of a 3.5 lb. completely trimmed roast after serving four people. I served it with scalloped potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, skillet zucchini and a green salad.
  • #6 by urnmor on 09 Jan 2024
  • Looks like it was perfect
  • #7 by pmillen on 09 Jan 2024
  • #8 by hughver on 09 Jan 2024
  • Looks like it was perfect

Most had seconds.
  • #9 by hughver on 09 Jan 2024
  • It's not pretty but it's done. The total weight is 4.5 lbs. The chateaubriand portion (center cut) is larger than normal(1-1.5 lbs.) but I wanted it large enough to serve four.(1.5-1.75" or ~8oz. each). The fat glob on the right is the thin end cut into pieces and tied together. I'll cook the piece on the left along with the center cut in case someone wants seconds. I may just cut the right-hand piece into strips and make beef stroganoff at a later date.
  • #10 by Bentley on 09 Jan 2024
  • Would be a great choice for Stroganoff or an outrageously tender cheesesteak!  And since tenderloin has no flavor, the cheese wit would be perfect for that flavor!
  • #11 by urnmor on 10 Jan 2024
  • I once made an appertizer using thinly sliced tenderloin. So if you have a very sharp knife you could use the small piece for that.  I will see if i can find that recipe as it was awhile back
  • #12 by reubenray on 10 Jan 2024
  • What does beef tenderloin taste like - tri-tip or brisket?  It looks like tri-tip.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 10 Jan 2024
  • One could make some carpaccio from it, or tartare. If you have some left and not sure what to do with it.
  • #14 by Canadian John on 10 Jan 2024
  •  
     That's a meal I would have enjoyed.
  • #15 by hughver on 10 Jan 2024
  • And since tenderloin has no flavor, the cheese wit would be perfect for that flavor!

Not to be argumentive, but I disagree. If cooked medium rare to rare, IMHO it taste very good with lots of flavor. I don't think that I've ever smoked one but for my taste, a little smoke makes evertthing taste better.
Pages:
Actions