All Things Considered > General Discussion--Food Related

Bacon Weave Tacos and Big Burgers

(1/16) > >>

jdmessner:
After the big win by Michigan, I started thinking about the Super Bowl. Since I am not delusional enough to think the Lions will win it all, my thoughts quickly turned to the most important thing about any Super Bowl, the food.

The last few years I have brought food for a youth group Super Bowl party. Usually there are about 80 kids. Last year it was the pizza taco. An extra large pepperoni pizza was used as the taco shell and there were probably 8 lbs of filling.

This year I decided to keep the taco theme going with bacon weave taco shells filled with Mac and Cheese.

After extensive research and development, and high level discussions with my engineering consultant, I think I have a plan.

Each shell is made 3 bacon strips cut in half, so the weave is 3×3. The squares are being baked at 400° until the bacon tightens up a bit and can be placed on a wire cooling rack to shape the taco shell. Then it is back in the oven to crisp it up.

I have found I can post pictures directly by using the camera feature, rather than attaching them from a file. However I can only do one at a time. Please forgive the multiple posts.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude:
That sounds great, it really does.
Who doesn’t love bacon and filled with mac and cheese will be a huge hit.

jdmessner:
I did one shell as an experiment the other day. It turned out great, so I thought I was well on my way.

Today I thought I would kick it up a notch and do six. It did not go nearly as well. The squares did not fuse together and fell apart when I tried to shape them on the wire rack. I think the problem might be solved by rigging up a bacon press when they are first baked.

The next time I give this a try, I am going to try using another sheet pan on top of the bacon pan with a cast iron pan on top it for weight.

Pictured: Bacon press, rack set up, and my one good shell.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith:
Ever thought about filling with Western Mac-n-cheese?

Bar-B-Lew:
Ever thought about buying some of these and using them to cook the bacon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBNFPHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never done it, but after seeing what you were trying to accomplish was wondering why it wouldn't work.  You may possibly need to drill some holes to let grease drip out.

What do people think of this idea to help out JD?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View