Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 26 Jan 2024
  • Been a while but thought I would reach out.
    I grabbed 2 tri tip roasts and if memory serves I knew these as Santa Maria roasts?
    Anyway I am trying to decide to jerky it or attempt to cook it traditional, my dilemma is my wife CAN NOT stand any pink let alone shading red.
    What would you do?
    I added some tenderloin steaks that we did a few weeks back for steak bites for a little football gathering. They were outstanding.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 26 Jan 2024
  • My GF is the same way, has to be well done or past, although she is starting to come around some to a slightly less done piece of meat since I showed her it is not as tough if not over cooked. But when it comes to cow, ground up and an occasional strip steak.

If cooking the tritip to her liking takes it to far past where it is good, maybe cook to your preference and then cut some off and finish it off in a pan toget it to her liking.

For me give one of those bottom pieces of meat a sharp knife and some salt and pepper and I would be good. Of course I would want it closer to room temp than just out of the refrigerator.
  • #3 by dk117 on 26 Jan 2024
  • same here guys.  I've almost gotten my wife of 23 years down to medium well  :rotf:

1) as Dave said, slice the tips and sear in a pan while the medium rare section is resting.
    2) trisket.  Cook the tri-tip like a brisket (200+ IT).  It's pretty decent, good option if you're looking for brisket but cooking for two. 
    3) crock pot.  Tri-tip makes for an outstanding roast. 
  • #4 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2024
  • I am a grilled to 135° guy, so only way I am gonna eat it way over cooked is stew or chili Colorado, which are just the same versions from different countries!
  • #5 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2024
  • I align with BigDave 83 and dk117.  I'd grill it properly and then finish slices to your wife's liking by pan searing.  That's what I do for my SIL every time I smoke roast prime rib or beef tenderloin.  He loves it that way.

I'm moving his taste line down from Well Done to where he can enjoy MedWell.
  • #6 by GREG-B on 26 Jan 2024
  • When we first got married, her piece of meat had to be cooked to well done.  I for one don't care how someone cooks their steak, as long as they don't crucify mine.  Now after 1/2 a decade later she will tolerate a slight amount of pink in her steaks.  SLIGHT!!  As long as it's warm I'm good.  I think she also realized how much more tender it could be cooked a little less.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jan 2024
  • After 25+ years, my wife has gone from butterflying filet mignon so it could be almost charred and dry to medium well and I think she is getting close to being fine with ordering it medium pretty soon.  Like others have mentioned, she has realized how much more tender then meat is closer to medium than super well done.
  • #8 by yorkdude on 26 Jan 2024
  • We just celebrated our 36th anniversary and to this day she will not budge.
    I will figure something out.🤣
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 27 Jan 2024
  • It has been 24 years for me and if there is a hint of red or pink juice coming out of one she thinks it's blood.  I've tried several times to explain the protein and that there is no blood in the meat.
Pages:
Actions