Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork Loin Jerky  (Read 1248 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Pork Loin Jerky
« on: August 25, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »

Made some pork jerky on Saturday.  Cut a 4.5# trimmed pork loin into 1/8 inch strips.  Used a Cabela's hickory seasoning for 24 hours.  Put on MAK 2 Star in smoke mode for 4 hours.  Really simple and tasty

I had bought pork loin that the grocery store cut into what they called country style ribs (which typically is a pork shoulder run through a band saw).

I put the pork loin onto this jerky slicing board that you run a knife through.  It is best to put jerky in the freezer for 60 minutes before running the knife through it.  Much easier to slice.  The slicing board has a few plastic inserts that allow you to adjust the size of the slice.  I think 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch.  I think this is 1/8 which is using the two inserts.

Mix the seasoning and cure packet in water and stir until dissolved.  Put meat strips in it and mix very good to ensure every piece gets the cure.  Keep in fridge for 24 hours.

Place on jerky racks.

Into the smoker at 160 degrees for 4 hours.

[/quote]
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Pork Loin Jerky
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »

Is there such a thing as tender jerky?  I usually grow tired of the chewing.  But it has its appeal.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »

Nice job on the jerky  :beer:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

I have been reading that is you cut the meat across the grain that the jerky will be more tender similar to cutting a brisket or tri-tip across the grain versus with the grain.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »

Looks good. Never tried anything but beef. And, yes. Definitely across the grain unless you love to chew for some reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up