All Things Considered > General Discussion--Food Related

What's Cooking for Easter?

(1/4) > >>

jdmessner:
Easter is a busy season for me and includes a lot of cooking.

Tonight was Maundy Thursday. I like to include a light meal as part of the service. I made chicken tenders and set out trays of veggies, fruit, cheeses, crakers, and pita chips.

The marinade for the chicken had a Greek yogurt base with lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Garlic, oregino, cumin, paprika, and coriander. I marinated the chicken strips overnight. I wanted to use thighs, but the store was out. They had a sale on breasts, so that made the decision easier. The tenders were juicy and had a great taste, I will use that marinade again.

Sunday morning we are doing a Sunrise Service starting at 6:30 a.m. I have long thought that anyone who gets up that early for a service should have steak and eggs for breakfast. I was going to get a NY strip and slice it into thin breakfast steaks. However, there was a sale on prime rib and it was $1 cheaper per pound than the strip. Easter breakfast will be an egg bake, prime rib, and my wife's cinnamon rolls.

We are also doing a free community dinner on Easter. It will be a full traditional meal. Fortunately I don't have to do any cooking for that.

Any other Easter cooks in the works?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

BigDave83:
Sounds like you deserve a break from the Easter meal, with all the other cooking you do.

May I ask how large of a congregation you are cooking for?

For myself, my cousin's husband volunteered me to cook and host Easter dinner. Pretty plain and basic, I am not able to work outside the box. Ham and carbs pretty much. Mashed potatoes, noodles, corn , bread, stuffing, and some kind of cake, the cousin is bringing a strawberry pole cake, so keeping with that theme I am going to do a Boston Cream Pie poke cake. Probably only be about 15 people.

Bentley:
Glazed ham, scalloped potatoes and green beans.

pmillen:
Younger members of my relatively new extended family are fussy eaters and their parents cater to it.  As a result I've been charged with grilling pork chops.  I bought a pork loin and will cut two-inch boneless chops from it, brine them and two-zone grill them in my kamado.  It would be easier to grill them on the PK but it won't hold them all.  Others are making the sides.

reubenray:
I will be doing a pork butt.  It is for only two of us, but I will take the leftovers with us on our upcoming 18 night trip in our new travel trailer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View