Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by DMA on 10 Oct 2017
  • Glad to see you over here!
    Can't say I've seen a better Traeger restoration than that. That's a lot of time spent with inch by inch results. I feel like I helped without getting my hands dirty sending the Emblem!

It's good to be here! It took a while to find it, but mission accomplished!! Thank you again for your help with the emblem, Smokin'!!!
    • DMA
  • #17 by DMA on 10 Oct 2017
  • So glad to see that the inside was not painted!

I was actually looking at a fresh powder-coat in the beginning, but received so much advice against that and, of course, paint, so I just did what everyone else suggested...just coat with oil and bake in. Thanx!
    • DMA
  • #18 by DMA on 10 Oct 2017
  • Looks great!!! I was given a similar Traeger a little over a year ago. I ended up selling it on Craigslist for over $600 after I refurbished it.

Nice! Looks like you used a similar stain on the handles. What are those angled pieces of metal at the top of the lids? Some sort of support or stop?
    • DMA
  • #19 by TLK on 11 Oct 2017
  • well done!   :clap: :clap: :clap:
  • #20 by snj1013 on 11 Oct 2017
  • Looks great!!! I was given a similar Traeger a little over a year ago. I ended up selling it on Craigslist for over $600 after I refurbished it.

Nice! Looks like you used a similar stain on the handles. What are those angled pieces of metal at the top of the lids? Some sort of support or stop?

They are stops/supports for the lid.
  • #21 by Canadian John on 13 Oct 2017
  • RE Controller: For the price and excellent performance why not go with the made in USA Ortech. Has a shut down cycle, fits in the hole, comes with an RTD and plugs into the existing wiring. Ortech designed and manufactured the original digital controller for Traeger. Later Traeger sourced their controllers from China.
    On high setting the auger rotation is constant so it won't effect max temps. The Ortech does have a high temp warning. It is 650º!
  • #22 by ArborAgent on 13 Oct 2017
  • RE Controller: For the price and excellent performance why not go with the made in USA Ortech. Has a shut down cycle, fits in the hole, comes with an RTD and plugs into the existing wiring. Ortech designed and manufactured the original digital controller for Traeger. Later Traeger sourced their controllers from China.
    On high setting the auger rotation is constant so it won't effect max temps. The Ortech does have a high temp warning. It is 650º!

If you're going to upgrade your controller, go with a PID controller. Either the Savannah Stoker or the Smoke Daddy. It'll turn your Traeger into a computer controlled wood fired oven. I know there are religious wars around PID vs. no PID but I'm squarely in the PID camp.
  • #23 by DMA on 13 Oct 2017

So, with respect to your "Has a shut down cycle..." statement, does that mean the hot rod turns off, but fan keeps going for a while? If so, I'm definitely going with a new Ortech controller! That's a new controller and fan mod in one!!!

On an unrelated note, I picked up a cover the other day...

Yes, it's not made for a Traeger, but for just over $23, I couldn't pass it up...and it fits pretty darned good!
    • DMA
  • #24 by Canadian John on 14 Oct 2017
  •  Ortech SHUTDOWN CYCLE -This ia a 10 minute, fan only cycle..The display shows the remaining time as "C9" meaning 9 minutes until the fan stops.  The hotrod is only on for the first 4 minutes @ startup, or any time the controller goes from off to any on position.. If you do a search for Ortech controller you'll find the operating instructions that include functions,installlation etc.
  • #25 by Brushpopper on 14 Oct 2017
  • Definitely go with the Ortech.  I'm very happy with mine and Canadian John can probably answer any question you have.  He's helped me several times.  Thanks again Canadian John!!
  • #26 by DMA on 16 Oct 2017
  • Upgrading to the Ortech looks really simple! So, is the TR-100 model the one I should be focused on or is there another? Thanx!
    • DMA
  • #27 by Brushpopper on 16 Oct 2017
  • Upgrading to the Ortech looks really simple! So, is the TR-100 model the one I should be focused on or is there another? Thanx!

I believe the TR-100 is the only model.  I got mine off of eBay direct from Ortech with free shipping and no tax.  I just looked and it's $69.  It was simple to install.  Just plug in the wires and install the new temp probe.  I'm sure a PID controller would be very nice, but the Ortech did the job for me.  Especially since I'm somewhat of a "tight screw".
  • #28 by wyd on 16 Oct 2017
  • What a fantastic job you did on the refurb.  :clap:  The Traeger looks as good or better than new.  I really like to read over threads when I its a refurb as I'm always impressed at the finished products. 
  • #29 by DMA on 16 Oct 2017
  • What a fantastic job you did on the refurb.  :clap:  The Traeger looks as good or better than new.  I really like to read over threads when I its a refurb as I'm always impressed at the finished products.

Thank you. It was a whole lot of hard work, but most definitely worth it in the end! I was hooked from the first use...so much so, I ditched my propane grill. Now, I just order the pellets, 40 pounds at a time, and I'm good to go. Found what I think is an excellent blend too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HBCD5UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hard to beat a 40 pound bag for $20!
    • DMA
  • #30 by DMA on 16 Oct 2017
  • I believe the TR-100 is the only model.  I got mine off of eBay direct from Ortech with free shipping and no tax.  I just looked and it's $69.  It was simple to install.  Just plug in the wires and install the new temp probe.  I'm sure a PID controller would be very nice, but the Ortech did the job for me.  Especially since I'm somewhat of a "tight screw".

Sweet! I'm ordering one right now!!! Thanx again!
    • DMA
Pages:
Actions