Member Reviews > Reviews of Accessories, Gadgets and Tools

Four Mcusta Zanmai Beyond Aogami Knives

<< < (2/2)

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Kristin Meredith on April 25, 2024, 07:36:43 AM ---I learned enough to know I don't have the skills and patience to use these knives...

--- End quote ---

Except for the patina forming on the barely exposed Super Blue cutting edge, they should look and cut the same as the day you took them out of the box.  They aren't indestructible, I suppose the dishwasher could ruin the handle, but your typical kitchen knife use and clean-up is sufficient.

They aren't fragile.  To the contrary, Super Blue is the toughest knife steel available.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Brushpopper on April 25, 2024, 10:01:51 AM ---It doesn't cut fingers as bad when it's dull she says.

--- End quote ---

My dad repeatedly told me that I was more likely to cut myself with a dull knife than a sharp one.  I could never figure out the reasoning behind that statement but I never asked.  He wasn't fond of "Why?" questions, especially in a production environment.

I do know this about using a dull knife—in butchers' jargon you're "pushing a dull knife."  Your hands and forearms will cramp unbearably after a few hours of it.

I have a sentimental attachment to a 45-year old replica of a Chicago Cutlery butcher's knife from dad's shop.  I found it, new, in a strip mall discount kitchen supplies shop.  It was a regularly used carving knife until few years ago.  I should resurrect it.  It'll still do the job—but it's ugly (beautiful when considering functionality).

The Chicago Cutlery knives are examples of aWestern knife's edge made of softer steel that won’t crack or chip when hitting bone, the edge just bends over slightly and is easily straightened by honing on a butcher's steel.

Brushpopper:
I was always told you'll cut yourself worse with a dull knife also but I can't get her to understand that.  My uncle owned a slaughterhouse and I spent a lot of time there as a kid.  I sure wish I had some of the knives those guys used.

pmillen:
Here's their home–

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Bentley on April 25, 2024, 09:33:41 AM ---Now that's a review!  I should have the Weber sent to you!

--- End quote ---

That's very kind of you to say, Bentley, but I couldn't write a good smoker review.  I can most easily talk and write about things I know and I don't know smokers/grills as well as you.  You are certainly better equipped to write those performance reviews.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View