Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 10 Oct 2017
  • I'm planning an Oktoberfest community dinner next week. I have a bunch of country ribs as well as brats and pork roasts. They will be served with german style sauerkraut, with onions and potatoes. I have some nice recipes that I am looking at, but always open to any tips or ideas that anyone might be willing to share.

Here is the leading recipe so far for the Country Ribs. I found it on the Old Fat Guy web site. I'll be adjusting the recipe for 20 lbs of short ribs.

Ingredients

6 country style ribs
    7 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) kosher salt
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
    5 ml (1 teaspoon) fine grind black pepper
    250 ml (1 cup) onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh thyme, chopped or 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh sage, chopped or 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried
    25 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oi

Instructions

Mix salt, paprika and black pepper together.
    Rub the mixture into the ribs and put them in a casserole.
    Add the onion, garlic, thyme, sage and vegetable oil and toss the ribs in the mixture.
    Marinate in the fridge for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
    Take the ribs out of the marinade and knock most of the onions off.
    Put the ribs on a rack in the fridge, uncovered for an hour.
    Preheat your smoker to 230 F.
    Smoke the ribs to an internal temperature of 115 F.
    Turn and continue smoking to an internal temperature of 155 F.
    Remove and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
  • #2 by jdmessner on 12 Oct 2017
  • No tip here jd, sounds great, just let me know when and where! Now I'm craving sauerkraut.

Not sure where you are from, but the dinner is free and open to all. If you happen to be anywhere near SW Michigan, I'll be preping and grilling on Tuesday, serving on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. If anyone would like to come PM me for more details!!
  • #3 by Bentley on 12 Oct 2017
  • They will be very firm at 155°, just know that.  And I am sure you know this, but the Country Rib is cut from the Shoulder, so it is basically a strip of Butt and can be cooked to a temperature just like a butt!.
  • #4 by jdmessner on 19 Oct 2017
  • Mixed results with the community dinner. I thought I had my auger fixed when I replaced a sheer pin a while ago. The new one broke and the motor quit just as I was getting ready to smoke the country ribs. A freind of mine bailed me out. He does a lot of BBQ with his stick burner and was willing to do the country ribs for me. The 100+ people that came loved them. However, the smoke flavor was quite strong and overwhelming. It made me appreciate even more the balance of smoke, seasoning, and meet that you get with a pellet grill. Should have the new motors in a day or two and be back cooking soon!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how country ribs got their name? It has long been a puzzle for me, because as was pointed out earlier, they are not rib meat at all.
  • #5 by Fire708 on 20 Oct 2017
  • Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how country ribs got their name? It has long been a puzzle for me, because as was pointed out earlier, they are not rib meat at all.

My guess is the person who came up with calling a pig shoulder a “Butt” had something to do with it.
Pages:
Actions