Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Cook Any Fall Vegetables on Your Pit?  (Read 841 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Do You Cook Any Fall Vegetables on Your Pit?
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »

The other day, I cooked a bunch of butternut squash on the Memphis Pro.  It is in the frig right now.  It is to be drizzling today, so I think I will use the time to make soup.

Does anyone out there cook any fall type veggies on their pits?  If so, what?  I need to eat more healthy foods and I might get some inspiration!!

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Do You Cook Any Fall Vegetables on Your Pit?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »

I've made these a few times on the fast eddy and whole hog. Not sure why not more often. They are really tasty. Just spaghetti squash cooked until soft, fill with marinara, and some chunks of fresh mozzarella. Throw it back on the pit until sauce is hot and cheese is melted.

Also, use some of that squash for a pot pie. This was my American royal vegetable turn-in in I believe 2014. Im almost positive I put little slivers of grilled sausage in them as well. Not sure why that wasn't in the recipe. Must have added it last minute.

American royal vegetable recipe
¼ cup   butter
1   cup   chopped onion
2   cloves   garlic
1   TBS   sage, chopped
1   bunch   kale, chopped finely
  Salt and pepper
¼   cup   flour
3   cups   chicken broth
1 ½   cups   butternut squash, small dice
1   cups   finely chopped roasted chicken
1   sheet   frozen puff pastry
1   egg
Preheat grill to 400. Toss squash and onion with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast until soft and charred, about 10-20 minutes. Melt butter over low heat. Saute garlic and sage until soft. Add kale. Season with salt and pepper, and saute until wilted, about 4 minutes.  Whisk in flour. Add broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken, squash, and onion. Stir. Cook for 1 minute. Check for seasoning.
Roll puff pastry thinner. Cut out circles to cover ramekins. Ladle filling into ramekins. Top with pastry. Brush with egg and water mixture. Cut slit in top. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. Top with chopped parsley.  

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »

We like to do root vegetable soup as one of our cold weather comfort foods - roasting parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, and turnips, then adding to a beef based soup (whatever beef is the cheapest at the time) with potatoes. While there is a bit of smoke, the roasting tends to intensify the flavors in the vegetables.
PZ

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »

I roast a lot of veggies and plan to do so on the mak this year. I don't think the roasting results will be as good since the heat isn't coming from the top but time will tell.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »

We like to do root vegetable soup as one of our cold weather comfort foods - roasting parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, and turnips, then adding to a beef based soup (whatever beef is the cheapest at the time) with potatoes. While there is a bit of smoke, the roasting tends to intensify the flavors in the vegetables.

pz, have you ever tried pureeing all those root vegetables and making a thick soup?  Wondered if that would work or if too many competing flavours?

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »

That's an interesting thought Kristin - kind of like a variation of a bisque. I do not have a sense of whether or not the flavors would be competing, but it might be worth a try
PZ

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »

pz, have you ever tried pureeing all those root vegetables and making a thick soup?  Wondered if that would work or if too many competing flavours?

For starters, I can't imagine anyone around my neck of the woods stooping to the level of parsnips, rutabagas, or turnips. Carrots? Ok. Potatoes? That's the culinary question. It's really quite sad.

I would try the pureed version, but I think I'd miss the individual content at play.  I love a fork full of chuck roast and the individual root veggie taste.
Every bite is different.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »

We do squash:Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and place raisins in the cavity ~ 1/2 way. Cover the raisins with maple syrup and cook until done. Scoop out all the flesh, raisins and syrup, place in a bowl and mash together. It is ready to serve.. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up