Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2017
  • I was bored earlier this summer so I bought a Weber kettle. I really only bought it to make Tri-tip. As many of you know, keeping it low and slow is a PITA. She was skeptical when I bought it. "Why do you need 4 grills?"

However, she liked the results. I however, have gotten tired of playing with charcoal. My fancy gas grill does a great job of high heat, and we all know how good a pellet grill is. So I was thinking of selling my Weber.

The other night I made a Tri-tip using my pellet grill and my gasser. Smoked it to 120º and then used the infrared burner on my gas grill to give it a nice outside crust.

Wife: "It's pretty good, but I like it better on the other grill".

Looks like I'm keeping the Weber.

• #2 by Polekitty on 11 Oct 2017
  • Don't even try figure her out. Just as soon as you thought you did, she'll change on ya.
  • #3 by InThePitBBQ on 11 Oct 2017
  • Lumberjack makes a charcoal / hickory blend pellet. ~Problem solved.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #4 by cyberstud on 11 Oct 2017
  • Women are made to be loved...not understood!
    • cyberstud
  • #5 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2017
  • Lumberjack makes a charcoal / hickory blend pellet. ~Problem solved.

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't like stocking multiple pellets. I find it to be more of a hassle than its worth.
  • #6 by Jcorwin818 on 11 Oct 2017
  • Try cooking on the pellet and just sear on the charcoal and see how she likes it.  May add enough charcoal flavor she won’t even notice.
  • #7 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2017
  • Try cooking on the pellet and just sear on the charcoal and see how she likes it.  May add enough charcoal flavor she won’t even notice.

That's a good idea.
  • #8 by Jcorwin818 on 11 Oct 2017
  • Just curious how long have you been married?
  • #9 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2017

7 years, been together for over 10.
  • #10 by pmillen on 11 Oct 2017
  • I think that there is such a thing as the charcoal taste.  Wood coals may impart the same flavor.  I have a friend that cooks some great steaks over wood coals on a Santa Maria grill.

I also think that Tatonka Dust seasoning has charcoal flavoring mixed in.
  • #11 by dk117 on 11 Oct 2017
  • I was bored earlier this summer so I bought a Weber kettle. I really only bought it to make Tri-tip. As many of you know, keeping it low and slow is a PITA. She was skeptical when I bought it. "Why do you need 4 grills?"

However, she liked the results. I however, have gotten tired of playing with charcoal. My fancy gas grill does a great job of high heat, and we all know how good a pellet grill is. So I was thinking of selling my Weber.

The other night I made a Tri-tip using my pellet grill and my gasser. Smoked it to 120º and then used the infrared burner on my gas grill to give it a nice outside crust.

Wife: "It's pretty good, but I like it better on the other grill".

Looks like I'm keeping the Weber.

Go with the pellet grill (to 110 degrees) and gasser (reverse sear) but tell her you used the weber like she asked.  She'll love it.

DK
    • dk117
  • #12 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2017

• Go with the pellet grill (to 110 degrees) and gasser (reverse sear) but tell her you used the weber like she asked.  She'll love it.

DK

No way, even if I could get away with it, I wouldn't want to.
  • #13 by Jcorwin818 on 11 Oct 2017

7 years, been together for over 10.

It’ll get better your still a rookie.  It will be 49 years in Dec for me and it is a lot easier now.
  • #14 by Bobitis on 11 Oct 2017
  • Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars.
Pages:
Actions