Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jon515 on 13 Oct 2017
  • I currently have a Daniel Boone grill and I really like it, most of the time the cooks are only for my girlfriend and myself.  My Parents visit fairly often so there are times I need more cooking space.  I offered to get my Dad a DC for his use at home, but he thought it was too much worse.  Now my question, how long would it take for a DC to pay for itself on small cooks (and the ability to take to my Parents house) for the majority of what I cook?  Is the pellet useage that much less?

Thanks,
    Jon
  • #2 by RemoGaggi on 14 Oct 2017
  • I've had my DC since June and used it quite a few times.  I don't have a DB, but I do have a Jim Bowie I use once in awhile for gatherings and I also have a MAK 1-star.  As for the DC pellet usage rate, it's hard to say how much pellets you'll save.  The DC's hopper is only 9lbs, while the DB & JB are 17lb capacity.  I can tell you that the last cook I did on the DC in about 80 degree weather, I did 4 hours at 250 degrees.  During the cook, the pellets did get low to just above the hand/finger guard in the hopper, so I did have to add some pellets during the cook.  My best guess is that pellet savings in the DC is somewhat marginal compared to my larger smokers.

With that said, I think the DC is a nice small smoker and the price is good.  It heats up fast, the wifi is great (be sure you get the latest firmware), easy to clean, has a small footprint, and portable.  I've also a couple of the mini Traegers and the build quality of the DC is so much better than the baby Traegers. 

I don't think you should buy a DC because of the pellet savings - I think it will take years to pay for itself in pellet savings.  I think a DC is worth getting because it is a nice little smoker for the reasons I listed above and perfect for smaller cooks.  I primarily like to use it because I don't like starting up the big rigs when I can get there in a quick sports car. 

• #3 by Canadian John on 14 Oct 2017
  • I believe" convince" is the only tangible measure .
  • #4 by Chokma on 14 Oct 2017
  • This is my universal two-step decision tree:

Do I want it?  If yes,
    Can I afford it?  If yes,
    Buy it.

• #5 by RemoGaggi on 14 Oct 2017
  • Chokma - perfectly said!   :clap:
  • #6 by pz on 14 Oct 2017
  • I've been using a Davy for quite a few years, and a Traeger Lil' Tex modified with a PID to work like a GMG. Most of the time I've gone to the Traeger because of the larger size, and I do not really notice a big difference in pellet consumption.

I really dislike the legs on the Davy which I have read some people say "they should break the thumbs of the person that designed the legs".  However, I recently purchased an inexpensive Harbor Freight roll away tool box for the Davy, removed the legs, and now it is at chest height so it is much easier to use. For the first time a couple of weeks ago I actually gravitated to the DC over the Traeger.

Because I like to travel in an RV, I would again purchase the Davy despite the awful legs because it is a perfect tailgating cooker.

I purchased another Davy for my son, and also gave him accessories that allows him to cook much larger quantities. For example, a rib rack that holds the ribs vertically so he can cook 3 Costco racks at a time.  He is very happy with the DC, especially with the cleverly designed accessories that allows him to cook what he wants.

The bottom line is that if I had to make a choice on a single pellet cooker, it would be the DC for the versatility and the price. However, if I did not travel in the RV, I would purchase the DB in a heartbeat - the cost differential is not that significant.
  • #7 by hughver on 14 Oct 2017
  • I have a large Traeger with an SS4 controller and a DC. The DC is my go-to pit unless my project is too large for it. It gets hotter faster, puts out more smoke  and is just as accurate. As far as pellets, it's real easy on them at low temperature, not so much at higher temperatures.  :2cents:
  • #8 by Jon515 on 14 Oct 2017
  • Thanks for all the replies, I definitely don't "need”a DC and I think I'm just trying to justify it to myself! :)
  • #9 by Bentley on 14 Oct 2017
  • I cant answer the 1st part, the 2nd is no.

Now my question, how long would it take for a DC to pay for itself on small cooks (and the ability to take to my Parents house) for the majority of what I cook?  Is the pellet useage that much less?
  • #10 by RemoGaggi on 14 Oct 2017
  • I agree - the legs are trash.  I don't take mine tailgating or RV'ing so I removed the legs and made this simple stand out for cedar fencing that I can easily wheel around my backyard.  I put a piece of scrap cement board under the belly and for the legs to sit on.  I also made a folding front shelf with folding shelf brackets I got from Amazon. 

Shelf Down

Shelf Up
  • #11 by Mudflap on 15 Oct 2017
  • I got my Dad a DB 3 yrs ago and he has put it together but has not turned it on. He likes to cook fast on a gas grill. I have a friend that has both and he uses the DC on outings in his RV or just to the lake skiing.

I would look at it like buying a boat. How often are you going to use it?

Mudflap
  • #12 by hughver on 15 Oct 2017
  • I cook on my DC at least twice a week (Sept. thru April) and I use my boat 120 days a year (May thru Aug.).   :)
  • #13 by TechMOGogy on 15 Oct 2017
  • I cook 1-3 times per week on my DC and the FEC100 (even with way less pellet usage) only gets used for large cooks or large hunks o meat.
    I love the DC, 1st thing I did before I even burned it in was to remove the legs.
    I also have the travel bag for storage.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #14 by silverbullet on 18 Oct 2017
  • I have a DC & a JB. The DC is my go to pit as for most of the time I'm cooking for 2. I to took off the legs & put it on a Sam's Club Cart for mobility & cooking height. Plus its so much easier getting it into the SUV when we pull the camper. I have a early non wifi model that has been trouble free.

I hardly use the JB Its 4 years old & hardly been used. Been thinking about selling it. I'm really liking the Louisiana CS450......
Pages:
Actions