Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DB vs. DC  (Read 1684 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
DB vs. DC
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »

I currently have a Daniel Boone grill and I really like it, most of the time the cooks are only for my girlfriend and myself.  My Parents visit fairly often so there are times I need more cooking space.  I offered to get my Dad a DC for his use at home, but he thought it was too much worse.  Now my question, how long would it take for a DC to pay for itself on small cooks (and the ability to take to my Parents house) for the majority of what I cook?  Is the pellet useage that much less?

Thanks,
Jon

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
Re: DB vs. DC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:43:51 AM »

I've had my DC since June and used it quite a few times.  I don't have a DB, but I do have a Jim Bowie I use once in awhile for gatherings and I also have a MAK 1-star.  As for the DC pellet usage rate, it's hard to say how much pellets you'll save.  The DC's hopper is only 9lbs, while the DB & JB are 17lb capacity.  I can tell you that the last cook I did on the DC in about 80 degree weather, I did 4 hours at 250 degrees.  During the cook, the pellets did get low to just above the hand/finger guard in the hopper, so I did have to add some pellets during the cook.  My best guess is that pellet savings in the DC is somewhat marginal compared to my larger smokers.

With that said, I think the DC is a nice small smoker and the price is good.  It heats up fast, the wifi is great (be sure you get the latest firmware), easy to clean, has a small footprint, and portable.  I've also a couple of the mini Traegers and the build quality of the DC is so much better than the baby Traegers. 

I don't think you should buy a DC because of the pellet savings - I think it will take years to pay for itself in pellet savings.  I think a DC is worth getting because it is a nice little smoker for the reasons I listed above and perfect for smaller cooks.  I primarily like to use it because I don't like starting up the big rigs when I can get there in a quick sports car. 

Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »

I believe" convince" is the only tangible measure .

Chokma

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »

This is my universal two-step decision tree:

Do I want it?  If yes,
Can I afford it?  If yes,
Buy it.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »

Chokma - perfectly said!   :clap:

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »

I've been using a Davy for quite a few years, and a Traeger Lil' Tex modified with a PID to work like a GMG. Most of the time I've gone to the Traeger because of the larger size, and I do not really notice a big difference in pellet consumption.

I really dislike the legs on the Davy which I have read some people say "they should break the thumbs of the person that designed the legs".  However, I recently purchased an inexpensive Harbor Freight roll away tool box for the Davy, removed the legs, and now it is at chest height so it is much easier to use. For the first time a couple of weeks ago I actually gravitated to the DC over the Traeger.

Because I like to travel in an RV, I would again purchase the Davy despite the awful legs because it is a perfect tailgating cooker.

I purchased another Davy for my son, and also gave him accessories that allows him to cook much larger quantities. For example, a rib rack that holds the ribs vertically so he can cook 3 Costco racks at a time.  He is very happy with the DC, especially with the cleverly designed accessories that allows him to cook what he wants.

The bottom line is that if I had to make a choice on a single pellet cooker, it would be the DC for the versatility and the price. However, if I did not travel in the RV, I would purchase the DB in a heartbeat - the cost differential is not that significant.
PZ

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »

I have a large Traeger with an SS4 controller and a DC. The DC is my go-to pit unless my project is too large for it. It gets hotter faster, puts out more smoke  and is just as accurate. As far as pellets, it's real easy on them at low temperature, not so much at higher temperatures.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Jon515

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I definitely don't "need”a DC and I think I'm just trying to justify it to myself! :)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

I cant answer the 1st part, the 2nd is no.

Now my question, how long would it take for a DC to pay for itself on small cooks (and the ability to take to my Parents house) for the majority of what I cook?  Is the pellet useage that much less?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »

I agree - the legs are trash.  I don't take mine tailgating or RV'ing so I removed the legs and made this simple stand out for cedar fencing that I can easily wheel around my backyard.  I put a piece of scrap cement board under the belly and for the legs to sit on.  I also made a folding front shelf with folding shelf brackets I got from Amazon. 

Shelf Down

Shelf Up

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »

I got my Dad a DB 3 yrs ago and he has put it together but has not turned it on. He likes to cook fast on a gas grill. I have a friend that has both and he uses the DC on outings in his RV or just to the lake skiing.

I would look at it like buying a boat. How often are you going to use it?

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »

I cook on my DC at least twice a week (Sept. thru April) and I use my boat 120 days a year (May thru Aug.).   :)
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

TechMOGogy

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »

I cook 1-3 times per week on my DC and the FEC100 (even with way less pellet usage) only gets used for large cooks or large hunks o meat.
I love the DC, 1st thing I did before I even burned it in was to remove the legs.
I also have the travel bag for storage.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

silverbullet

• I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »

I have a DC & a JB. The DC is my go to pit as for most of the time I'm cooking for 2. I to took off the legs & put it on a Sam's Club Cart for mobility & cooking height. Plus its so much easier getting it into the SUV when we pull the camper. I have a early non wifi model that has been trouble free.

I hardly use the JB Its 4 years old & hardly been used. Been thinking about selling it. I'm really liking the Louisiana CS450......
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:38:44 PM by silverbullet »
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24
Pages: [1]   Go Up