Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza sausage  (Read 3790 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Pizza sausage
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »

I've mentioned this sausage in a few posts on pelletheads, and possibly here. I'm not sure how prevalent this type of pizza sausage is around the country, but many of the mom and pop style pizza places in the Midwest serve a very loose and crumbly sausage that is spread generously over the top of the cheese. I always wondered how they got that unique texture, and how it was spread so heavily without a ton of grease. 

It just so happened that a family friend used to run one of those style pizzerias. He very kindly gave me the recipe, and, most importantly, the process. I scaled down their 50 pound batch to a 5 pound version.

2268 grams pork butt
34 grams salt
17 grams fennel
5.5 grams black pepper
4.25 grams red pepper flakes
8 oz textured vegetable protein (tvp)

Cube the pork, freeze for about an hour, then grind with the small plate.

Add the TVP and the rest of the dry ingredients to a food processor. Give it a couple few second bursts.

Mix the ground meat with the dry ingredients

Mix until combined, and a small patty will stick to your inverted palm. Then form into a loaf in a half pan. Leave about 1 inch of space around the perimeter of the pan. Pour water in the pan until it is about halfway up the sides of the pan.

Cover with foil. Cut several slits in the foil.

Bake at 300 until internal temp hits about 160.

Drain the water/grease from pan, then cool overnight in fridge. The next morning break up the loaf into clumps, and grind through the COURSE plate.

Now you have about 5 pounds of delicious, and super fluffy sausage that can be used in a variety of ways. I freeze in 1 pound vac sealed packs.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pizza sausage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »

That is pretty interesting.  My wife prefers that type of sausage on her pizza.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »

I like it on pizza as well, it’s like a Italian blend
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »

Looks great, FMT.  I like fresh sausage like that as well as a meaty ingredient in boxed turkey stuffing for a quick but delicious dinner.
PZ

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »

I especially like pizza sausage and have been looking for a good recipe. I've got a rather large butt in the refrigerator that I'll give your recipe a try. However, I like my sausage in larger chunks so I'll probably not do the second grind. Thanks for the recipe.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »

Never seen it used!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »

I especially like pizza sausage and have been looking for a good recipe. I've got a rather large butt in the refrigerator that I'll give your recipe a try. However, I like my sausage in larger chunks so I'll probably not do the second grind. Thanks for the recipe.

Just so you know, once it's cooked and cooled in the loaf form it is a very thick mass. You could obviously cut into chunks,  but not sure how appealing the resulting texture would be. Let me know if you try it.

hughver

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

Just so you know, once it's cooked and cooled in the loaf form it is a very thick mass. You could obviously cut into chunks,  but not sure how appealing the resulting texture would be. Let me know if you try it.

I know it's pork but I assumed that the texture would be similar to meat loaf when hot. My thought was that I'd break it up into pieces then cool. Also, I think that I'll use the larger grinding disc. I'm going to the WA-ASU football game later today but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »

I think Olive Garden makes a sausage soup...wonder if they do something like this...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »

I know it's pork but I assumed that the texture would be similar to meat loaf when hot. My thought was that I'd break it up into pieces then cool. Also, I think that I'll use the larger grinding disc. I'm going to the WA-ASU football game later today but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

That may work. I've never broke it up right after cooking. Have fun at the game.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »

I think Olive Garden makes a sausage soup...wonder if they do something like this...

Never had it. Sounds good though. I'm typically pretty good at copy catting restaurant items I like. This sausage texture mystified me for years. Never could get it quite right. Never would have thought of loaf cookikg it, then grinding after it was cooked. That and the TVP seems to give it the non greasy attribute. Was really thankful the guy shared his family recipe.

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »

Never had it. Sounds good though. I'm typically pretty good at copy catting restaurant items I like. This sausage texture mystified me for years. Never could get it quite right. Never would have thought of loaf cookikg it, then grinding after it was cooked. That and the TVP seems to give it the non greasy attribute. Was really thankful the guy shared his family recipe.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

hughver

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »

Have fun at the game.

I did not have fun at the game!  :'(   (ASU-13, WA-7)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:05:46 PM by hughver »

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »

Have fun at the game.

I did not have fun at the game!  :'(
I was expecting a blow out by Washington and Auburn.  Glad I don't bet, it's a strange year...

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

I dunno what it is about pizza sausage, but I hate it. And all pizza makers seem to make it (or use) the same. :puke:
The fennel maybe? I like it well enough in other dishes.

Weird...

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up