Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza sausage  (Read 3791 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Pizza sausage
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

I dunno what it is about pizza sausage, but I hate it. And all pizza makers seem to make it (or use) the same. :puke:
The fennel maybe? I like it well enough in other dishes.

Weird...

I'm guessing it's the fennel. Has a sort of licorice flavor that many people do not care for. This sausage is definitely not for you. That is the main flavor that comes through, with some heat on the back end from the pepper flakes.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »

Most pizza sausage is "Italian" sausage, so, yeah....
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »

Most pizza sausage is "Italian" sausage, so, yeah....

No pizza for me in Italy then. Good thing they have sardines...
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

They have lots without the anise and fennel, I bet there are several you would love!  I think you would like Tuscan or a Luganeca.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »

FMT, Does the textured vegetable protein add anything to the flavor or is it just for filler/texture?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »

FMT, Does the textured vegetable protein add anything to the flavor or is it just for filler/texture?

Never made it without, but I believe its basically in there as a grease sponge. When the fat renders in the sausage the TVP kind of absorbs it so that it doesn't run out on your pizza, sausage roll, sandwich, etc. Flavor wise, can't imagine it adds anything.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »

Made some French bread pizza tonight using a little of the sausage. These are delicious. I don't make them enough. Toasted the Italian loaf in the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes.

Topped one side with sweet baby rays, roasted chicken, and a mozzarella parm blend for the kids. The other half got marinara, the cheese, boars head natural casing pepperoni, red onion, and a big handful of the pizza sausage.

Baked at 350 for about 20 minutes.

No extra pics, but I sprinkle mine with red pepper flakes, parm, and then dip in extra marinara and ranch.

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »

Oh man!  That looks awesome!  I'm in.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 06:51:48 AM by Maineac »
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »

Dang, I could go for a loaf of that right now  ;)
PZ

RoadKing

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »

One of my favorite pizzas is from Marion’s. It uses a cracker style crust popular in some Midwest regions , and the sausage you refer to. It is a crispy “cracker” style crust. I’ll check next time, but I think there is no fennel in the sausage. Others like it include Cassanos and Donatos. If you are a fan of pizza and are visiting the Midwest , you should seek out this style and give it a try.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »

One of my favorite pizzas is from Marion’s. It uses a cracker style crust popular in some Midwest regions , and the sausage you refer to. It is a crispy “cracker” style crust. I’ll check next time, but I think there is no fennel in the sausage. Others like it include Cassanos and Donatos. If you are a fan of pizza and are visiting the Midwest , you should seek out this style and give it a try.

That looks great! Here in Fort Wayne the main place that serves that type is called pizza king. Lately, the style seems to be making quite a comeback as "tavern" style. I first read of tavern in a book a couple years ago, and have heard it many times since then on different videos and such.

FSUwelder1212

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »

FMT, I’m like you and hate the fennel. It stinks because I love Italian sausage until I bite into one of those seeds/pods? I have yet to find anywhere that doesn’t put it in their Italian sausage.

RoadKing, I’m gonna take a wild guess that you live in the Dayton area of Ohio? I lived around there for 5-6 years and have to say Marion’s is about the absolute worst pizza I’ve ever had, the only people that seemed to like it were Dayton natives. The heinousness of that pizza is only second to eating goetta, another of those Ohio “specialties”. Funny how regional tastes can be so different.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

I missed that Marion's (my Moms name so I am bias) pie on the 1st go round...That looks like a Me n Ed's from Fresno, best Pizzas ever made. Or should I say best pizza ever made in the 1970's!

RoadKing

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »

FMT, I’m like you and hate the fennel. It stinks because I love Italian sausage until I bite into one of those seeds/pods? I have yet to find anywhere that doesn’t put it in their Italian sausage.

RoadKing, I’m gonna take a wild guess that you live in the Dayton area of Ohio? I lived around there for 5-6 years and have to say Marion’s is about the absolute worst pizza I’ve ever had, the only people that seemed to like it were Dayton natives. The heinousness of that pizza is only second to eating goetta, another of those Ohio “specialties”. Funny how regional tastes can be so different.

I grew up in Dayton. I’m in Cincinnati now. Regional tastes are a funny thing for sure. It took me years to like Skyline Chili. I’m not putting any effort into trying to like Goetta though. I am curious to know exactly why Marion’s ranks so low for you. Specifically. I have heard some good reasons why people don’t like it. The main reason I like it is the sausage, as described in this thread, and the thin cracker crust. Did you have Cassano’s or Donato’s? They are similar.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »

I knew it, that picture did not lie.  Just like Me n Ed's!

...and the thin cracker crust.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up