Poll: Is the difference simply Temperature?

Yes
No
I can taste a difference between all 3.

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 15 Oct 2017
  • Between Smoking, Barbequing, and Grilling?  Is it simply Temperature?
  • #2 by GREG-B on 15 Oct 2017
  • I believe it's a little more than just a difference in temperatures.   They all have their pros and cons.   If I want to do low and slow, I use the pellet pooper, if I want to do grilling at high heat, I use my Kamado grill.  And there is a flavor difference, and let's not for get the ease of starting a pellet pooper.    :2cents:
  • #3 by ArborAgent on 15 Oct 2017
  • Smoking is below 300° and with the intent of getting a smoke flavor.

BBQ is cooking outside over indirect heat. BBQ includes smoking.

Grilling is cooking outside over intense direct heat.
  • #4 by pmillen on 15 Oct 2017
  • Grilling is cooking outside over intense direct heat.

Can I grill indoors if I have the correct equipment?
  • #5 by Bentley on 15 Oct 2017
  • Always interesting to see others take...I was taught that Smoking was under 200°, BBQ was up 200°-350° and any thing over that was grilling!
  • #6 by ArborAgent on 16 Oct 2017
  • Grilling is cooking outside over intense direct heat.

Can I grill indoors if I have the correct equipment?

Hah. Yeah, I should have omitted the outdoors. I have a a 12" natural gas grill built into my range. We use it all the time and it's definitely grilling!
  • #7 by LowSlowJoe on 16 Oct 2017
  • Grilling is done over direct heat, and yes, it can be done indoors with virtually any heat source, with the intent of quickly cooking the food.

BBQ is done with indirect heat... and in my opinion should only be done with wood or charcoal, with strong preference toward wood as the fuel source.

Smoking is done, with the sole intent of imparting smoke flavor on the food, not necessarily cooking the food, must involve wood to provide the smoke... but doesn't have to rely on wood as the soul source of heat, if more heat is needed.

It all could be done indoors, if you have enough ventilation... Temperature is incidental, but grilling is almost always done at temperatures of approximately 500F or more.

Most pellet grills do much better job at BBQ than grilling or smoking, but some rare ones, managed to do all three reasonably well.
  • #8 by SmokinHandyman on 16 Oct 2017
  • Always interesting to see others take...I was taught that Smoking was under 200°, BBQ was up 200°-350° and any thing over that was grilling!
    My thoughts also
  • #9 by urnmor on 16 Oct 2017
  • IMO it is mostly about temperature however I also believe the rubs, marinades etc also play a major role.  For instance if you would to place a heavy BBQ rub on a bird and or steak at high tea I suspect it would burn significantly before the desired internal temp was reached.    :cool:
  • #10 by Rick on 16 Oct 2017
  • I like Bentley's simple description. It covers cold smoking and hot n fast Drum cooking (over direct heat at 275-350 degrees).
  • #11 by Rick on 16 Oct 2017
  • I will add, I don't think it changes taste, but it does impact texture and moisture.  Hot n Fast is a different style of cooking from Low n Slow.  If you approach them the same way, it won't work.  And it's not just a matter of meat getting done faster. 

I'm not saying one is better than the other.  Just completely different approaches to BBQ. 

In my area of the country, most teams that competing for top 10 calls at competitions are cooking on one of two cookers.  And everybody that I know is cooking at 275 degrees or higher.  Most are higher now.  Although, that may be because they got tired of cooking all night. 
  • #12 by Bobitis on 16 Oct 2017
  • Smokers smoke. Grillers grill.

BBQ'ers think they can do both well because they're outside.  :rotf:
  • #13 by Fire708 on 16 Oct 2017
  • This hits it on the head
  • #14 by dclord on 20 Oct 2017
  • I've live my whole life in Southern California so BBQ is a charcoal grill. My wife is of Mexican descent so she thinks BBQ is done in pit in the ground.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Pages:
Actions