Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by DE on 15 Oct 2017
  • It is Full once again!
    Each Vacuum Pack has approx 4 oz of Tillamook Mild Cheddar and approx 4 oz of Tallimook Pepper Jack
    3.5 hours with the Amazon Tube Smoker
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

:clap:  :cool: :D
  • #2 by smokinbandit101 on 19 Oct 2017
  • Cheese for days!!!  What kind of pellets did you use?  :cool:
  • #3 by DE on 19 Oct 2017
  • Perfect Mix was what I had on hand. Normally just use hickory. To be honest, I can't really tell much difference between the different types. Perhaps that's just me.
  • #4 by ZCZ on 19 Oct 2017
  • That should hold you for a while.
    I love cheese!

Z
  • #5 by ZCZ on 19 Oct 2017
  • Speaking of cheese I have a friend who was an over-the-road trucker.  He mostly hauled back and forth between MN & TX.  Once in a while for a load back they would send him over to Clovis, NM to pick up cheese . . .  wait for it . . . AND HAUL IT TO WISCONSIN.  I kid you not.  He made that run several times.

And now you know the truth behind WI Cheese.

Z
  • #6 by Conumdrum on 19 Oct 2017
  • Ohh yea, that's awesome!  :clap: :lick: I have to wait at least a month till it's cold enough.

There is nothing like smoked moz on a pizza. 

• #7 by DE on 19 Oct 2017
  • Ohh yea, that's awesome!  :clap: :lick: I have to wait at least a month till it's cold enough.

There is nothing like smoked moz on a pizza.

Have you ever tried a pan of ice or frozen milk jugs. I used to wait for the cold weather but not anymore. Ice does the trick. Give it a try!
  • #8 by Conumdrum on 19 Oct 2017
  • Well it only gets to 55f at 6 AM here.  I have an old Masterbuilt analog electric smoker (my first) I use. Putting a smoke generator (AMNPS tube) still gets it too warm. Ice isn't enough, I tried, my Moz got a bit droopy.   Once it's 45f in late Dec at 6 AM, I'll do it again.  And more this time, you have inspired me!

Your haul is amazing and huge amounts.  It's great!
  • #9 by Bobitis on 19 Oct 2017
  • I've used 2 bread pans and it didn't make much difference in my small Jr.
  • #10 by MN-Smoker on 21 Oct 2017
  • Speaking of cheese I have a friend who was an over-the-road trucker.  He mostly hauled back and forth between MN & TX.  Once in a while for a load back they would send him over to Clovis, NM to pick up cheese . . .  wait for it . . . AND HAUL IT TO WISCONSIN.  I kid you not.  He made that run several times.

And now you know the truth behind WI Cheese.

Z

I worked in a creamery in MN.
    We produced sliced American Cheese.

We would have to stop runs to change the labels.  We produced cheese for multiple different brands.

Imagine my surprise as we changed the labels from "Dairyland's _____ " or "Wisconsin's ______", etc.
    Milk from MN, cheese made in MN, branded as Wisconsin.
  • #11 by bregent on 21 Oct 2017
  • Well it only gets to 55f at 6 AM here.  I have an old Masterbuilt analog electric smoker (my first) I use. Putting a smoke generator (AMNPS tube) still gets it too warm. Ice isn't enough, I tried, my Moz got a bit droopy.   Once it's 45f in late Dec at 6 AM, I'll do it again.  And more this time, you have inspired me!

I would suggest doing a mailbox mod or similar. You can put the tube or AMNPS in the mailbox and connect it to the smoker with a length of metal flex tubing. The longer the tube, the cooler the smoke will be. A side effect is that the smoke will be cleaner and the cheese won't smell like an ashtray when it's done, and you won't need to wait weeks to start enjoying it.
  • #12 by Maineac on 21 Oct 2017

This setup raises the temp in the smoker 10 degrees over ambient using one A-Maze-N tube in the toolbox (in my garage out of the sun).

• #13 by elenis on 26 Oct 2017
  • The cheese looks really nice.

The few times I have done smoked cheese I do it in colder weather. I set the Mak 2 Star to smoke and it seems to keep it cool enough. I got a new toy for my birthday that is supposed to do easy cold smoking, the Breville Smoking Gun. Has anyone else played with one? I tried to do some smoked cheese with it and according to instructional videos you just smoke it for 3 minutes to get a smokey flavor. I did it and it certainly tasted smokey, but it also had kind of a burned wood flavor.
  • #14 by Conumdrum on 26 Oct 2017
  • Thats why you vacupack and let it mellow for a few weeks. 

I did the same my first cheese smoke.  Was kinda smoky when done, but after vacupacked for weeks/months that's when it gets good.
  • #15 by bregent on 28 Oct 2017
  • I had never thought of a mailbox mod for cold smoking.  Sounds like a great idea!  Hopefully I can make something like this work for the Yoder.

I'm not sure how you could get that working with a Yoder and I don't think I'd even try.  You can easily build a cold smoker from a cardbox box, smoke tube or AMNPS, and some flex tubing. Search the web for 'cardboard box cold smoker' for lots of ideas.
Pages:
Actions