Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot and Fast Brisket  (Read 974 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Hot and Fast Brisket
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »

Did a brisket hot and fast for the first time this past weekend. A 17.5lb USDA Prime, trimmed to 13lbs, seasoned with salt and pepper the night before. Dusted lightly with Black Ops and then onto the Memphis running at 180F for the first hour, then bumped to 300F.  After 2.5 more hours, turned down to 275 because I was taking the dog for a long walk and wasn't sure how long I would be. Stayed out too long and came back to find it was done - and probably a bit past done. The flat was moist but would have been a tad moister if I pulled it 30 minutes sooner. The total time was 5.5 hours. Separated flat and point, wrapped in paper and held in cooler about 2 hours until guests arrived. I had heard you don't get a good bark when cooking hot and fast and that is absolutely false. This was some of the best bark I've had, and overall the flavor was superb. Will definitely do this again. Next time might run low for an additional hours to get a bit more smoke - but even with just an hour there was decent smoke. And will stick around and monitor more closely.
Just sliced the flat for us and guests. The point went directly into the fridge and will try that later today.

Oh and next time I will trim a bit closer. Seems like not as much fat rendered from the fat cap as usual with a low and slow.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:34:35 PM by bregent »

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Hot and Fast Brisket
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »

Did it probe like butter?
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »

Thank looks really good.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »

Oh yeah, it was shaking like jello.

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »

Oh yeah, it was shaking like jello.

Well, that's a mighty fine looking Hunk of Goodness there sir!. You get the Award!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Briskitarian - "One who smokes his/her brisket until it probes like butter," or "One who enjoys their brisket smoked until it probes like butter"

Great Job.

Try one at 275 all the way, no foil, just let her go until...it probes like butter. I think you will find it will get all the smoke it will take while getting up to 140 or so.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

bregent

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

>Try one at 275 all the way, no foil, just let her go until...it probes like butter. I think
>you will find it will get all the smoke it will take while getting up to 140 or so.

Yeah, will probably give that a shot. Thanks.

Rick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »

That brisket has pretty nice marbling. 

I cook all my briskets hot and fast, albeit a different "fuel choice".  300 degrees straight through the entire cook.  I usually start with a 14-15lb brisket and trim down to 9-11 lbs. I remove all white fat that I can get to and separate the flat and point down to where it is connected by an inch or two. I leave most of the fat cap in place.

Total cook time is 5.5 - 7 hours.  Wagyu's take closer to 6-7 hours.  The primes are usually between 5.5-6.5 hours. That is also in foil for at least half of that cook.

I'm surprised that it was jello after 5.5 hours, especially given that it was at 180 for the first hour, 275 the last two hours, and I presume you never wrapped. 

When my brisket is over, its still super moist.  I just can't slice it like I normally do.  Also, it's important to realize that when cooking hot and fast, if you go until probe tender, you will find that the internal temp of the brisket is much higher than it would be if you cooked it low and slow.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:40:38 PM by Rick »
Pages: [1]   Go Up