Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First try at Pizza on the Pro  (Read 1479 times)

ml504

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
First try at Pizza on the Pro
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »

Okay don’t laugh, but this is my first attempt.  It was a last minute idea so I kept it simple, set the grill at 500 for around 9 minutes.  The edges got a little burnt but other than that it tasted really good.  Open for suggestions....I’m here to learn.

Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:11:14 PM by ml504 »

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
Re: First try at Pizza on the Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »

Pizza looks great. The Memphis grills are pizza machines.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »

I think you did a good job!

SJeP

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »

Impressive first try at pizza.

Does the open round grate cook crust better than a stone?  I ask because my wife wants to try pizza on the Grand Slam and I was debating on what to cook it on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »

I always do my pizzas on a stone or mostly a Lodge cast iron pizza pan.. I opt for max cooking temps.  That is 650º on the Memphis Pro...By using a stone or better, I find cast iron, the crust cooks and doesn't,t dry out..The crust and top cook at almost the same rate...I place the pizza on the cold Lodge pan then into the hot pit..And no there haven't been any thermo cracks. Takes about 7 minutes.

bregent

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »

That's a great first attempt. As others have mentioned, you definitely should get a stone. I've tried using a steel but found it transfers heat too fast so the bottom crust cooked a bit too fast compared with the top. There really isn't much radiant heat on the top so it's relying on convection to cook the top crust. I've tried various temps and find that 550 is the sweet spot for NY style. I started out using a 16 inch stone but found that by propping it up I could get my 19" stone to fit, which allows me to make 18" NY style.  Note that in the pics below, the screen is only used to cool the pie. I'm baking directly on the stone.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:44:52 PM by bregent »

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »

Good job on the first try Matt!  Keep those pizza cook pictures coming.
I have never ventured into one from scratch and do not have a stone.
I used a cast iron pan for doing PM pizza.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

ml504

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  So if using a stone or cast iron, is it hot enough to use by the time it takes the grill to heat up to 500-500 or do you have to keep the grill going a little longer before putting the pizza in?

Reason I’m asking is I have a stone and always had problems on my egg with the stone not being hot enough to brown the dough.  I’m sure it was something I was doing wrong because I’ve seen many people post pizza pictures from the egg that look great. 

Thanks,
Matt

bregent

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  So if using a stone or cast iron, is it hot enough to use by the time it takes the grill to heat up to 500-500 or do you have to keep the grill going a little longer before putting the pizza in?

Reason I’m asking is I have a stone and always had problems on my egg with the stone not being hot enough to brown the dough.  I’m sure it was something I was doing wrong because I’ve seen many people post pizza pictures from the egg that look great. 

Thanks,
Matt

Right, you do need to wait for the stone to absorb the heat - I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour after the grill has reach temp. A IR thermometer is a nice tool to have for pizza making.

ml504

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:39 AM »

Thanks,
Matt

Right, you do need to wait for the stone to absorb the heat - I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour after the grill has reach temp. A IR thermometer is a nice tool to have for pizza making.

Thanks.  Man those pictures of the pizza you posted look great!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »

Come on man...Get your pizza round like everyone else...Glad to see I am not the only one...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

Round pizza? 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

bregent

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

Here's a tip I learned that helped me with launching a round pie. Next time you make pizza, make an extra dough or two. Open the dough to the size you want, but either don't dress it or dress it with a little macaroni for weight.  Now you can practice launching that skin onto a cold stone. You can repeat launching over and over until you get the feel. That will give you a lot more confidence when you launch a real pie. One of the tricks is to move the peel forward and then quickly pull back so the skin stays in place.

I also like to use semolina rather than corn meal on the peel, as it has a higher burn temp. I keep it in a little shaker jar so I can shake just enough - it doesn't take much.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »

One of the favorite Product Reviews I did!  Super Peel

I used to use a superpeel when I first started making pizza and it is a great tool...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up