Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dshaffes on 18 Oct 2017
  • I've got access to a Smoke Daddy PID controller but not sure I want to use it on my Pro 22. 

Has anyone upgraded their Traeger to a PID?
  • #2 by ArborAgent on 19 Oct 2017
  • I did it on a smaller Traeger, the junior maybe?

Super easy upgrade. Great results over the traditional Traeger controller.

Consider that the upgrade isn't a one way door. If you don't like it, you can always go back to your old controller.
  • #3 by bproffer on 19 Oct 2017
  • Yeah, Do it and don't look back. I have an older FEC-100 that came with a Traeger digital controller and I upgraded it to a PID controller and it has been great.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 19 Oct 2017
  •  The new Traeger controllers are better than the originals for sure.   Do you have any actual temperature problems?  If the pit is working well, why not just enjoy it?  Yes a PID controller will keep swings tighter..Will it cook any better or not? I would say not..
  • #5 by airedale on 19 Oct 2017
  • The new Traeger controllers are better than the originals for sure.   Do you have any actual temperature problems?  If the pit is working well, why not just enjoy it?  Yes a PID controller will keep swings tighter..Will it cook any better or not? I would say not..
    This.

I have never seen anyone who can say that typical OEM temperature swings caused any problem with their cooking.  I am an engineer, used to work for a process controls company, and I like shiny new toys as much as anyone, but I do not willingly waste money.  The controls on my cookers (Traeger L'il Tex and Camp Chef DLX) cook the food just fine.
    • airedale
  • #6 by AnyExcuse2Q on 19 Oct 2017
  • The new Traeger controllers are better than the originals for sure.   Do you have any actual temperature problems?  If the pit is working well, why not just enjoy it?  Yes a PID controller will keep swings tighter..Will it cook any better or not? I would say not..
    Yep, and Traeger claims the Pro controller is even better than prior controllers.  I'm sure you'll see better temp control, but I'm not sure you'll be able to taste it.
  • #7 by dshaffes on 19 Oct 2017
  • I've been real happy with the quality of the food on my cooks.  The temp swings on the newer Pro Controller are not dramatic.  I'm convinced that the PID will provide much tighter temperature control, but does that translate to better food with similar smoke profiles?  I'm leaning towards keeping the Traeger controller and selling the PID unless someone can convince me.
  • #8 by Osborn Cox on 19 Oct 2017
  • I installed the Savannah Stoker 3 on my lil Tex a couple of year ago, it regulates temperatures well, really well, probably too well.    Temp swings are very minimal and as such smoke generation is lessened.    It is my secondary pit now so it doesn’t get used much anymore and I’ve been meaning to tweak it to increase temp swings.    I would say unless you are having real problems with your stock controller, or just want to tinker out of curiosity don’t bother.
  • #9 by Greasy on 20 Oct 2017
  • I think the only real advantage you'd get from the pellet pro would be the auto restart feature that restarts you're grill if it gets below a certain temp. If you have blowouts that would be really handy. The downside is losing one of your temp probes. If you don't have blowouts then I'd give it a pass for now.
  • #10 by dshaffes on 20 Oct 2017
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. 

Today I cooked a pork butt on my Traeger to make Philly roast pork sandwiches using a copycat Dinics recipe.  It's served on a soft Italian roll with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe.  It's a lot of work, but turned out delicious.

I'm keeping the stock controller.
  • #11 by just4fn on 21 Oct 2017
  • I added a pid to my traeger but kept the other controller.  The Traeger controller is easier to use that is why I kept it. I have a switch to control which one I use.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #12 by paulrc56 on 23 Oct 2017
  • I have the Savannah Stoker 3 installed on my Texas.  I would never go back to the original Traeger controller. The Stoker has never missed a beat and normally keeps the temps within +/- 5 degrees.  Love the ability to control the fan speed (better blue smoke control), will relight if you have a flame-out, ability to adjust almost every setting you want through a simple menu built into the controller.  All you have to do is set the temperature you want in one degree increments and walk away.  When I do a pork butt it takes 17-18 hours and I simply put it on and go to sleep.

I use the Maverick 733 wireless unit to monitor the grate and meat temps.  It will alarm me (or wake me up) if anything needs my attention or when the meat is ready to come off the pit.
    • paulrc56
  • #13 by Okie52 on 19 Dec 2017
  • I switched out my traeger temperature controller for a blazn grill PID.  I’d never go back to the traeger temp controller.

• #14 by BradF on 21 Dec 2017
  • I have the SS-4 on my Traeger XL. Much tighter temperature control that the OEM controller.
  • #15 by Big Bear on 23 Dec 2017
  • I modified my USA made Lil Tex and added the original Savannah Stoker as it's controller. Right out of the box it improved the smokers performance, stable temps and unlike another who reported they got less smoke I find that my smoke has actually improved giving me a more consistent blue smoke profile especially at 225°. Before I had to be at 180°or below to get on again\off again smoke which would start heavy and eventually go away at the top of the temp swing. I like it now!
Pages:
Actions