Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Starship on 19 Oct 2017
  • Has anyone washed/cleaned the pizza stone that is in the pizza oven attachment??

Book says warm soapy water. Can it be submerged in the water? Can it soak. I know it needs to be perfectly dry
    before using but wondering how much water it can take.

I have an original pizza stone from Papa Murphys (helped start the company when it was Papa Aldo's) and water is a no-no.

The one in the pizza oven seems to be more of a tile than a stone and not as susceptible to water... ???
  • #2 by Bobitis on 19 Oct 2017
  • I had a pizza stone many years ago and it came with a 2" square'ish hard plastic scraper.

I would run under hot water and scrape off any excess buildup. I reckon a pizza stone to cast iron. No need for soap.

:2cents:
  • #3 by airedale on 19 Oct 2017
  • We  have a square pizza stone from Williams-Sonoma.  It came with a lifetime guarantee against cracking and replaced a cheaper one that had cracked.

We clean it by putting it into the electric oven and running a self-cleaning cycle.
    • airedale
  • #4 by ScottE on 20 Oct 2017
  • I scrape off any big chunks, then scrub it with one of those sponges that is a scouring pad on one side. I scrub in different patterns with the rough side, then rinse and scrub one more time with sponge side before final rinse.
  • #5 by bregent on 20 Oct 2017
  • I've never seen the need to wash or scrub a pizza stone. I just scrape off any chunks of burned on gunk.

When I bought my last stone from cal pizza stone, I unpacked it and the stone and packaging materials were wet. I called them and they said yeah, we use a wet cutter when we cut it to your specs. Water won't hurt it and it will dry out completely during any bake.
  • #6 by Starship on 20 Oct 2017
  • Just FYI

Got email from GMG, they said:
    "Chuck, thank you for using our pizza attachment, We do not recommend submersing it in the water just a good scrubbing should take care of it."

Just thought I'd pass it on for any other inquiring minds.
  • #7 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2017
  • I always though water on the stone was a no-no.  They are not sealed right?  I always through it was scrub with some type brush and that was it!
  • #8 by scdaf on 21 Oct 2017
  • I keep the fire going for a couple minutes after I pull the last pie, then wire brush after it cools.
  • #9 by JimAZ on 21 Oct 2017
  • NO SOAP! You’ll have soap taste afterwards.  Scrape off any big chunks, the previously mentioned plastic squares work great as does a plastic putty knife. 
  • #10 by Darwin on 21 Oct 2017
  • I use a razor blade or a stiff bristle brush to clean mine.  A quick rinse with water and set it on edge to dry.  I been doing it that way for seven or eight years with no problems. 
Pages:
Actions