Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEC PG500 vs Englander PG100  (Read 2231 times)

PelletHawkeye

FEC PG500 vs Englander PG100
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

Hey guys looking to purchase my first pellet pit and have basically narrowed it down to the PG500. I happened upon the very similar Englander and was wondering the differences between these two? No stainless or warming drawer on the PG100 and it looks like a different controller.

It looks like the Cookshack is the superior unit but was intrigued by the Englander. Any thoughts from those of you that have considered both? Thanks!

InThePitBBQ

Re: FEC PG500 vs Englander PG100
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »

Have you had the opportunity to see either of them in person?

The controller on the Englander is crude technology on it's best day, same class you'd expect to see on a box store pit. That alone was enough for me to cross it off the list when I was shopping for one.

I was looking at Yoders, FEPG's, Mephis etc. earlier in the summer before I bought my PG 500 and I decided no matter what I was done with peeling powder coat and paint finishes they just don't last.

I was leaning towards a Blaz'n until I came across some pretty upset owners of 90 day old pits with bad powder coating, if your going to invest in a tier one pellet pit 2K or more stainless is the only way to go it doesn't require much attention to keep it looking nice.

I really like the cabinet door design on the PG500, and I knew I would like having the dedicated charbroiler but after a couple months of cooking on it I wouldn't trade that feature for any of the sub par grilling / charbroiling options on most of the pits out there at any price point they don't compare. The charbroiler on the PG 500 is the real deal it makes 900+* temps and the gauge and thickness of the cooking grate holds enough heat to give those deep char marks on the meat surface.

There's a learning curve to using that charbroiler to get the best results, unless you've worked in a restaurant kitchen having such a thing was a first for most of us that own one but it's the missing link to making those mouth watering delicious steaks and chops you try for years to reproduce at home and never quite get there.

The other big benefit is the low and slow side aka zone 4, unlike most of the other pits out there with the burner underneath a stainless flame guard that's high on the left and low on the right to drain off rendered fat with a serious hot spot on the left side because of that design the PG 500 convects all the heat top down over that area and hot spots are a non issue anywhere on the grate it's close to perfect as your going to find.

The extra top grate zones are handy for sides and garlic bread loaves etc, you really can't appreciate having a warming drawer until you start cooking on that pit with a good quality instant read thermometer in hand like a Thermapen MK4 anything like steaks or chicken breasts will have some pieces that need to come off a few minutes before the rest of it.

Using an instant read thermometer and that warming drawer have made me a much better cook, I was guilty of overcooking most everything I made in years past in order to make sure all of it was done.

Fact is, none of it finishes all at the same time and quality and taste really suffers leaving it go to long.

Post your location in your profile, there's an outstanding bunch of members here that own these pits and would likely welcome you to see one in person they aren't readily available to see at retailers in most area's.

PelletHawkeye

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »

Wow! Thanks for all the information. I haven't been able to see either in person and quite frankly the only reason I even contemplated the Englander is becausethe Home Depot sells them and I have about $400 in gift cards I need to spend there.

I am in Omaha, NE (Blaz'n Grillworks country) and really considered the Grand Slam but crave the charbroiler feature on the Fast Eddy's. I also read about powdercoat problems with the other grills.

The only negative I keep hearing about the PG500 is the smaller indirect cooking area but that seems to be more from people that don't have one or cook commercially which I don't do. Thanks again for the detailed information!

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »

Initially I shared your concerns with regard to the smaller zone 4 area, having had it a good while now I find I can do several whole chickens on it or a twin pack of pork butts with ease. The upper rack (zones 2 & 3) have a bunch of space as well I have done an extra two whole chickens up there and just kept an eye on them as they finished 20 minutes sooner.

You can load every inch of it without worry, the entire surface heats evenly and that's just not the norm for any grill I ever used no matter the heat source.

I love the way it cooks set to 225* for long cooks doing briskets etc, it is the definition of true low and slow on account of the lack of any radiant heat and it actually takes quite a bit longer using my old tried and true 225* recipes on account of it but you'll never burn anything on it and the moisture levels left in the food after a good rest make for world class BBQ.

The charbroiler will actually hold 4 nice 1.5~2" porterhouses or similar so don't let that hold you back it's plenty large for a family meal.

Here's some photos of the cooking areas, helps to grasp the scale of things with some food for size references.

Costco brat's and 1/3 pound burger patties, (these are really tasty if you can get them btw)

You can put six loaf pans of your favorite sides up top in zones 2 & 3, or 2 dozen ears of corn easily. Those are large racks of baby backs that touched the ends of the cooking grates front to back when I put them on.

Half chickens in zone 4 are to die for, 5-6 pound broilers at 300* are ready in 2-2:15 hours crispy smoked skin and the meat is tender and full of juices.

Best brisket I have ever cooked, hands down best taste and the most moisture it was a Costco 12 pound prime trimmed to 9 pounds before going on overnight.

Like any new grill or smoker it takes a little time to get used to how it works, but with the user programmable controller settings you get to dial it in to suit your needs according to fuel quality, weather conditions etc. and it holds set temps right on the money.

I'd buy it all over again, having it and a proper thermometer to use with it has made me a better cook. I ordered mine from Dan at Firecraft, he ran circles around most of the product rep's I spoke with during the selection process when I was looking at different models he really knows pellet grills and smokers inside and out.

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »

I was tempted by the Englander as well. I had decided to buy the PG and then saw what looked so similar for so much less money.
After investigating a little bit more I decided that the lack of stainless and the warming drawer were just too  much. I felt it was worth the extra money for the PG500.
After I made my choice I found out about the differences in the controllers and it just cemented my decision.
I don't have all the pictures that InthePitBBQ shared but I share his enthusiasm. I am convinced that this is the best pit in this price range.
I am very happy that I didn't let the lure of a few hundred dollars trick me yet again. Sometimes I have had good luck saving a few $$ if the features aren't something I use, but in this case I couldn't be happier.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

PelletHawkeye

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »

Such good info..thank you so much! I have made up my mind that I'm just going to cry once and get the PG 500.

Do you guys recommend the front shelf as an add on? Seems like it would come in very handy.

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »

The front shelf is nice and most members here that own it have it installed. I decided to leave it off as I'm keeping mine inside when not in use and don't have the room for the extra footprint that makes but I'd have it otherwise.

Makes a big difference in cover selection with or without it as well, something to keep in mind.

PelletHawkeye

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »

Good to know. Karen at Cookshack is offering me 10% off my entire order so I figure I will order the front shelf now either way. Thanks again InThePitBBQ and MysticRythms for all of your help! Cant wait to make some of the delicious food you guys are showing me!! When I get my unit I will post some pics!!

GregW

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »

I have a Cookshack FEC 120, I can't say anything about their other cookers, but I will say that Cookshack support is outstanding. They definitely stand behind their products.

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »

Good to know. Karen at Cookshack is offering me 10% off my entire order so I figure I will order the front shelf now either way. Thanks again InThePitBBQ and MysticRythms for all of your help! Cant wait to make some of the delicious food you guys are showing me!! When I get my unit I will post some pics!!
When you get a chance, read this thread it's got some really good information on using the digital controller's temperature range settings.
https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=307.0

Don't be shy about asking questions in that thread when your getting started with it, you have total control over how the PG 500 delivers pellets to the burn pot across three different ranges of cooking temps and the factory propaganda that comes with is of little help in teaching a new owner how the settings work and can be programmed.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »

Alright, score a sale for Pellet Fan at Cookshack!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up