Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hoppy269 on 22 Oct 2017
  • How long is everyone seeing the pellet grills last? I am thinking on making the jump my 2005 Vermont casting gas grill box is rusting pretty good and I like the versatility of the pellet grills. I was also considering the ceramic cookers but don't know if I want to go back to wood charcoal and the tending of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• #2 by Jcorwin818 on 22 Oct 2017
  • A lot depends on how well you maintain them.  My 10 yr old 075 Traeger is in excellent shape and I anticipate getting at least another 10 years on it.  I clean it on a regular basis, keep it covered and out of the weather.
  • #3 by ksupaul on 22 Oct 2017
  • I have a Country Smoker going on 8 years I think. It lives outside covered in the Kansas weather. I am seeing a little surface rust in a few areas but pretty small. No issues until this month. I have an Auger motor that went bad or a control panel. Hope to figure out which one this weekend.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Oct 2017
  • This thread was originally posted in the Camp Chef section, so the author may be primarily focused on Camp Chef.  But I thought it could be good to see what a variety of pellet pit owners thought.
  • #5 by ZCZ on 22 Oct 2017
  • If you can swing it I think it pays to go stainless: Memphis, FE, MAK, Firecraft. Hope I did not miss anyone.  Each have threads on this site.
    Welcome!  You came to the right place.
    Z
  • #6 by hoppy269 on 22 Oct 2017
  • I would like to hear about all the brands thanks for moving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• #7 by Canadian John on 22 Oct 2017
  •  After 5 yrs, the auger tube at the firebox rusted back leaving a gap on my Lil'Tex, model 075..It was a "made in China "unit. It was always under cover and covered when not in use..The powder coat finish developed some small rust spots that were ground out and painted when first noted..I kept it waxed, 2x/yr....It did  indirect cooks well..

Did I enjoy it? For sure.   I learned a lot..Would I do it again? NO.

It is hard to justify a premium pit..The high end units are better built and usually have more features...

Look at the whole picture; Service life,parts validity,service,how it cooks,features,easy to maintain.....

I ended up with a Memphis Pro. It is so easy to clean..Heats fast..Well there is a long list of good..

Any finish, powder coat ,paint ,porcelain etc, if chipper or scratched will expose the underlying metal to the elements = rust..For me stainless is the way to go.  It does require upkeep to keep it looking good and prevent staining.

• #8 by pudgemeister on 22 Oct 2017
  • I have a GMG DB for almost 9 years now, have had no problems other than a little surface rust.
  • #9 by Jcorwin818 on 22 Oct 2017
  • Did you have a Lil Tex or Texas?  Lil Tex is 070 and the Texas is 075.

After 5 yrs, the auger tube at the firebox rusted back leaving a gap on my Lil'Tex, model 075..It was a "made in China "unit. It was always under cover and covered when not in use..The powder coat finish developed some small rust spots that were ground out and painted when first noted..I kept it waxed, 2x/yr....It did  indirect cooks well..

Did I enjoy it? For sure.   I learned a lot..Would I do it again? NO.

It is hard to justify a premium pit..The high end units are better built and usually have more features...

Look at the whole picture; Service life,parts validity,service,how it cooks,features,easy to maintain.....

I ended up with a Memphis Pro. It is so easy to clean..Heats fast..Well there is a long list of good..

Any finish, powder coat ,paint ,porcelain etc, if chipper or scratched will expose the underlying metal to the elements = rust..For me stainless is the way to go.  It does require upkeep to keep it looking good and prevent staining.
  • #10 by Bentley on 22 Oct 2017
  • I had an 2002 & 2004 075, sold 02 in 07 and 04 in 09...I would bet big money both of them are still going.  I have had one DB since 2010 and Memphis Pro since then, a second DB since 2011...they have decades left!
  • #11 by GrillinGlen on 22 Oct 2017
  • I have a 2011 SS Memphis Pro,  I’m sold on stainless steel, I used to clean and polish but really don’t do much with it, it’s a bbq pit, it’s ok to look like one.  With a little repair occasionally it seems like this pit should last a life time.  I replaced the hot rod after 6 years, that’s the first problem I had and it was a easy fix and the part was cheap.  Eventually I’ll get a wild hair and attack it with bar keepers friend and in no time it will look brand new
  • #12 by jdmessner on 22 Oct 2017
  • It has been hard to figure out a date for the grill I got last summer. I think it probably was built in the late 80's early 90's. It was made before hot rods became standard equipment! I'm in the process of replacing a few things, but overall I think the grill should last a good long time into the future.
  • #13 by Quadman750 on 23 Oct 2017
  • It has been hard to figure out a date for the grill I got last summer. I think it probably was built in the late 80's early 90's. It was made before hot rods became standard equipment! I'm in the process of replacing a few things, but overall I think the grill should last a good long time into the future.

What brand is it?
  • #14 by MN-Smoker on 23 Oct 2017
  • I'm curious about this.   Good topic.

If I'm not mistaken, each part of the grill is pretty much replaceable on all of these except for the box itself.
    So it would basically come down to the box itself corroding as the main factor?

Not sure how much a replacement controller might cost?

• #15 by jdmessner on 23 Oct 2017

What brand is it?

It is a Traeger. Closest guess I've heard is that perhaps it may be an early 150. [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions