Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My try at Aussie Sausage Rolls!  (Read 1215 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
My try at Aussie Sausage Rolls!
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:02:45 PM »

Aussie Days in Mayberry today!  Meat Pies, Waygu Beef Kabobs, and was supposed to be Sausage Rolls...1st two quite disappointing, the last is what this post is about!

Believe it or not, that is about it!

The highlight for me was running into a family from Brisbane living in Maryland. They were wanting to get a Sausage roll, but the place that was selling them (and they were supposed to be sold on the street) wanted you to come in and sit down. Dad wanted take away, like me, and when I heard the hostess say, sit down only, I went back and sat at table. I guess one of the owners decided he would be happy to sell Dad some take away, and they bought 2 or 3. The son had come over to tell me this, so I went back. They were just ringing them up...so I figured, why not see how they like them, before I get any, again $8 for one and refer to Cheap Screw comment as to why I waited! I had ask Mom what they should be like and she proceed to explain to me what she though should be in them as she regularly made them. She stated a very fine pork mince, even would ask her butcher to run it through one more time for her. To this was added bread crumb, egg, onions, garlic, sage and black pepper...and the thing I found surprising, carrots. At this point, I pretty much knew this was not her 1st rodeo!

They opened the bag and said they looked right. But after tasting, you could tell without words, both kids and parents, these were not authentic Sausage rolls. Glad I did not buy! I ask Mom about the issues. 1st thing she said was texture, to course is what I took away from conversation, then the sausage taste, she felt it was like Italian sausage...All I needed to hear, but the one little girl called it Doddgy...and that sealed the deal for me!

I bent this gals ear about all kinds of stuff, it truly was the highlight of the day for me! Lovely family...poor mom ended up eating cool sausage roll, if she even got any, I think son finished hers off!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: My try at Aussie Sausage Rolls!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »

We will see what happens!  I did not roll it out quite enough to do 3...so will be a big seam in the last one!  I can see why mom piped it!

Ground pork, about 65%/35%...Then the onions, sage, and carrots.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »

Way to much fat in the sausage, I will cook on a wire rack next time so the puff is not soaked in grease, and I will make sure I have a wash so that the puff browns and looks better.  But that is one fine sausage!  Will get it right tomorrow!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:21 PM »

It really was one of his better sausages -- too much black pepper, but really good!

Peterwoody

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »

Bentley, that crescent shaped thing is no sausage roll. Yours at least look authentic and I would say you are on the right track. My early life was spent in Australia and England and I have consumed far too many of those bad boys.
Peter GMG Davey Crockett

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »

Oh boy! I could eat a few of those. Bentley & Kristen you need to install a drive through window in your house
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »

Bentley, that crescent shaped thing is no sausage roll. Yours at least look authentic and I would say you are on the right track. My early life was spent in Australia and England and I have consumed far too many of those bad boys.

No, the crescent was the meat pie we bought.  Pretty pathetic in my opinion.  It was not very big, had about 2 Tbs of filling, and cost $6.50.  The taste was good, but I had a hard time believing that that puny thing was what Aussie's would say is a meat pie.

After talking with the Australian family, Bent elected not to buy a sausage roll (again, really expensive in my book at $8 for about a hot dog length roll).  He just went to the store and got stuff and made his own.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »

Looking good. My sister is leaving for Australia on the 26th. I think for a couple weeks. Her and my aunt are going for some big horse race. Can't remember the name.

Peterwoody

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »

Tony, that will be the Melbourne Cup which is run on the first Tuesday in November. It is (used to be) the biggest sporting event in Australia and the whole country would stop to listen to the broadcast. People would organize sweeps and Moms and Grands would have a small wager. Hope they enjoy their visit.
Peter GMG Davey Crockett

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

Tony, that will be the Melbourne Cup which is run on the first Tuesday in November. It is (used to be) the biggest sporting event in Australia and the whole country would stop to listen to the broadcast. People would organize sweeps and Moms and Grands would have a small wager. Hope they enjoy their visit.

Thanks for the info. They are going with, I believe, one of the horse owners, so I'm sure they will get the VIP experience. I would love to visit, but I don't do well on long plane rides. Their travel itinerary is a nightmare.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »

Well, I got lazy on the milk/egg wash, so the color will look much better next time.  I have been told more bread crumbs, and I was informed that if I will put slits in the rolls, the puff will bake much better.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:43:47 PM by Bentley »

uhcoogsfan

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »

I love these rolls!  There is a local brewery here in Houston that is owned by an Aussie that make these.  Will have to make these!
Pages: [1]   Go Up