Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 23 Oct 2017
  • Administrators:  I won't be upset if you move this post.  There isn't an Other Manufacturers category in the Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits section.

I understand that the Wellingham pit is rather uncommon, rarely found on patios or decks but is used by some competitors.  Have any of you seen one in action at a contest?  Do you have an impression of its capabilities?

As an aside—has anyone used Wellingham's rubs or sauces?  What are they like?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2017
  • That pit was made over 20 years ago.  When I lived in Memphis, my neighbor attended a cooking class by Willingham and I believe Willingham was using that pit in Memphis in May BBQ competition back then.  I have used a few of his rubs over the years, and they were OK.  I may have to see if they have them in the grocery store when I go down there in a few weeks.
  • #3 by pmillen on 23 Oct 2017
  • 20 years ago?  Wouldn't that have been a violation of the Traeger patent?

My literature says, in part, "[T]he 4 x 4 smoker, powered by small oak pellets fed through the bottom of the cooker..."  It is a pellet pit, isn't it?
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Oct 2017

My literature says, in part, "[T]he 4 x 4 smoker, powered by small oak pellets fed through the bottom of the cooker..."  It is a pellet pit, isn't it?

Might be closer to 25 years and I have no idea about the patent issue.  I believe it is a pellet pit.  I remember reading about it many years ago somewhere else.  If I remember, I will check with my buddy in a few weeks when I see him to see if he remembers.  I do remember him telling me about the pit that hung the ribs from a hook while they cooked.

That grill looks more like a popcorn machine than a grill though.
  • #5 by pmillen on 23 Oct 2017
  • That grill looks more like a popcorn machine than a grill though.

I get a silent chuckle every time I look at the photo.  Actually, that's part of the appeal.

I've emailed some questions to them along with a price request.  That may end the chuckling.
  • #6 by MN-Smoker on 23 Oct 2017

In some cases of a patent, the patent holder will allow a competitor to license the technology if it's not in a direct competition.
    That might be what happened here.

• #7 by yorkdude on 23 Oct 2017
  • I would be happy just to see it.
     It just looks really neat.
  • #8 by ml504 on 24 Oct 2017
  • I agree, if nothing else it sure does look cool!
  • #9 by InThePitBBQ on 24 Oct 2017
  • How cool is that!?

Is that charbroiler with a cabinet smoker on the left side? Looks like a yellow gas flex line connector on the right side, would like to know more about it and how it all works.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #10 by Conumdrum on 24 Oct 2017
  • That hase to be a $5000 custom cooker made by a mad scientist! :cool: Wow love to see it cook in real life. 
  • #11 by Bobitis on 24 Oct 2017
  • That hase to be a $5000 custom cooker made by a mad scientist! :cool: Wow love to see it cook in real life.

You asked for it. The Willingham smoker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38DcrpOBHE
  • #12 by Bentley on 24 Oct 2017
  • I remember Al Roker doing a TV show, he was cooking on one at the Memphis In May around the turn of the Century and it was $8000 then...
  • #13 by pmillen on 24 Oct 2017
  • I remember Al Roker doing a TV show, he was cooking on one at the Memphis In May around the turn of the Century and it was $8000 then...

For a moment I thought it said eight thousand dollars.   :)
  • #14 by Bentley on 24 Oct 2017
  • They were expensive!
Pages:
Actions