Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Maineac on 24 Oct 2017
  • I can walk into any grocery store near me and find lots of brisket flats that have been turned into corned beef and a few will have plain brisket flats for cooking however.  What I want to know is where the heck do all the brisket points go?  I’ve wanted to smoke just a point but I cannot find one short of having a butcher provide me one and pay top $$ for it.  Does anybody know what happens to all those points?  Thanks.
  • #2 by bregent on 24 Oct 2017
  • Many of the corned beef I see at the supermarket is the point. If you don't want to smoke the flat, just buy a packer and use the flat for burger or pot roast. 
  • #3 by hughver on 24 Oct 2017
  • A while back WinCo had brisket points for sale.
  • #4 by GrillinGlen on 24 Oct 2017
  •  i just smoked a packer and we wiped out the point and have the flat waiting to become left overs.  Nothing wrong with it but ive spoiled the crowd, but it will become something tasty.  I havnt had much luck finding just the point, when i have its $7-8 a pound.  This packer i bought was on sale at Cash and Carry for 2.30# reg around $2.55-2.60
  • #5 by Quadman750 on 25 Oct 2017
  • My butcher makes corned beef out of the flat & sells the points
  • #6 by Maineac on 25 Oct 2017
    We need more butchers like yours.  Actually I did see some brisket point corned beef yesterday at our local grocery store.  I asked the butcher there what becomes of all the brisket points and he didn't have an answer.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Oct 2017
    We need more butchers like yours.  Actually I did see some brisket point corned beef yesterday at our local grocery store.  I asked the butcher there what becomes of all the brisket points and he didn't have an answer.

hamburger
  • #8 by Maineac on 25 Oct 2017

hamburger

That's a shame.
  • #9 by InThePitBBQ on 25 Oct 2017

hamburger
    Points make the best burger I have ever ground.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #10 by Craig in Indy on 25 Oct 2017
  • I've wondered the same thing. Most of the time I only see brisket at Costco, very rarely in our regular grocery stores. And when I've looked at Costco, they're either whole packers (about 20% of the time) or flats (80% of the time). I've never seen a point for sale.
  • #11 by Maineac on 26 Oct 2017
  • Yee Haa.  I scored a brisket point today.  I had to go to Portland to do it but I've got a 7.5 pounder.  It just shouldn't be such a struggle.
  • #12 by DMAXNAZ on 27 Oct 2017
  • I was wondering this same thing a couple weeks ago. I've only ever seen points around here sold as corned beef. I asked the butcher at costco and he said he only gets flats and packers. He didnt even know where to possibly get a point.
  • #13 by Maineac on 28 Oct 2017
  • This is why I wanted a brisket point.  It jiggled and was so delicious. 

• #14 by triplebq on 28 Oct 2017
  • Personally I'm not a big fan of brisket point. Years ago I would only smoke flats but the price is quite high these days. I would love to ground up a point for a killer burger though.
  • #15 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Oct 2017
  • I love the point, it is the only part of the brisket that I think is any good!
Pages:
Actions