Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABTs from frozen  (Read 796 times)

imahawki

• Using less gas.
ABTs from frozen
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

A couple months back I hosted a family BBQ.  I made pulled pork and ABTs.  I went a little overboard on the ABT supplies so I set six aside and froze them.  I cooked them from the frozen state a couple weeks ago and they were awesome.  Next time I'm intentionally buying extras do the same thing.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: ABTs from frozen
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

I'm hosting a large get together in a few weeks and thought that I'd serve ABT's for appetizers. It would be awesome to have them already done and just reheat. How did you reheat them?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »

Sorry if I was unclear.  I didn't reheat them, I froze several of them uncooked.  So it saved me the prep time but I still had to smoke them for about 2-2.5 hours.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »

I have made ABT's and froze them before cooking.  They cook good.  I vacupacked them and 3 months later they were great.  Ask me how I get the heat out of the japapenos for the wusses.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »

I have made ABT's and froze them before cooking.  They cook good.  I vacupacked them and 3 months later they were great.  Ask me how I get the heat out of the japapenos for the wusses.

:rotf:

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

:rotf:

I really don't think they're spicy once cooked any way.  I tried using Anaheim peppers once to appease the wusses and they still didn't like them.  At that point they're hopeless so I make them the way I like them.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »

A buddy of mine had an abundance of jalapenos one year so he froze them raw, when he thawed them, they were like mush.   Only good for dicing and putting in recipes.   Did you have trouble with the texture after freezing stuffed?
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »

A buddy of mine had an abundance of jalapenos one year so he froze them raw, when he thawed them, they were like mush.   Only good for dicing and putting in recipes.   Did you have trouble with the texture after freezing stuffed?

I would agree with foodr that they were maybe a little softer, but not mush.

Chokma

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »

I usually prepare several more than I think will be eaten, then freeze the ones I don't smoke.  Cook later.  Otherwise, if I cook too many (which isn't very often), I will freeze the leftovers and nuke them later.  Doesn't sound too exotic, but I love ABTs so much they are wonderful no matter how they are cooked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up