Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 24 Oct 2017
  •  Just curious as to how long igniters last relative to use in the Memphis..I have had my Pro for a few months now and just love it. No problems to speak of....  My previous pit went through 2 or 3 igniters in under 6 years..In the 9 months of the year it was used it would be used about 5 days/week.

As I like to be proactive I was considering having an igniter on hand even though the pit can be started manually..If the igniters are for the most part long lived I'll wait.
  • #2 by bregent on 24 Oct 2017
  • I've had my Elite for over 2 years and igniter still works fine. A few months ago it was tripping the GFCI so I started it with a torch. After the cook I cleaned the burn pot really well and haven't had a problem since.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Oct 2017
  • I think mine is 5 years old and still works, but I don't use it very often.  Will see how long it takes others to develop an igniter like MAK that they guarantee for life.  That things starts a grill up much faster than the old fashioned igniters.
  • #4 by Gringo on 24 Oct 2017
  • I've had my 2011 Pro since 2013 and it was a demo unit before that.  I use it on average of twice a week.  Still on the original ignitor.
  • #5 by GrillinGlen on 24 Oct 2017
  • I have a 2011 Pro, replaced the hot rod for the first time this spring.  Probably average one use a week over that time, so maybe 300 starts before it died.
  • #6 by ZCZ on 26 Oct 2017
  • Have never had to replace one.
    Z
  • #7 by Bentley on 26 Oct 2017
  • 2010 Pro, 1st one...
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Dec 2019
  • Looks like my igniter went on my Elite that is 7+ years old.  I didn't see a place to buy one on the Memphis website.  Any recommendations on how to go about getting a replacement and installing it?
  • #9 by Bentley on 24 Dec 2019
  • I would shoot them an email from the website, I am sure they can sell you a replacement.  If the Elite is anything like the Pro, you will simply take the back off to access it.  It is a pretty simple process.  Mine did not burn out, but when Memphis sent me the inner panels, they sent me a new ignition and I replaced it about 18 months ago...
  • #10 by Canadian John on 24 Dec 2019

•  There is no problem getting an igniter from Memphis - simply contact them.

You should request installation instructions, they are on the net too, as the igniter is iso mounted and requires a gap @ the fire pot to maintain that feature. It's an easy job.
  • #11 by bregent on 24 Dec 2019
  • Looks like my igniter went on my Elite that is 7+ years old.  I didn't see a place to buy one on the Memphis website.  Any recommendations on how to go about getting a replacement and installing it?

Lew, what are the symptoms? Is it just not getting hot, or is it tripping the GFCI?
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Dec 2019
  • Its not getting hot just keeps dumping pellets into the fire pot.  I started a fire in the fire pot to help it get going and that worked as a short term solution.  It was actually a lot easier in that fire pot than in the cylindrical fire pots when trying to start a fire.  In those, you need a raging fire before you turn on the unit so the fan doesn't blow out the fire.  In the Memphis I started the fire after about 5 minutes of no temp increase and no sign of a fire starting on its own.  Had no problem starting it up while the fan was blowing.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Mar 2020
  • Just ordered my igniter from Memphis.  They emailed me a link to a youtube video with installation instructions that looked like even someone of my mechanical skills could handle on their own.  It may be several weeks before I get around to doing the job.  I suspect the last weekend in March most likely depending on the weather.
Pages:
Actions