Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 25 Oct 2017
  • I need to purchase a brisket for an upcoming event. Local grocery has choice packer for $1.99/lb. and Costco has prime packer for $2.99/lb. Is it worth the extra dollar a pound to get prime? Does your answer change if I tell you that I'm going to remove all visible fat and smoke/sous vide/sear it?   :help:
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Oct 2017
  • Based on what Bent has cooked, the choice always seems to turn out better.  The worst was a waygu from Snake River Farms.  Really expensive, really sub-par.  He, at least, always seems to do best with choice.
  • #3 by SmokinPete55 on 25 Oct 2017
  • you can't go by labels .  go pick one of each up .  look at the marbling , but the real test is hold it in the middle . does it fold down on the ends or is it stiff ?   

drop the stiff one and run home with the floppy one :)
    • SmokinPete55
  • #4 by InThePitBBQ on 25 Oct 2017
  • After finally getting a local Costco with affordable prime packers I will never buy another choice grade brisket again at any price, the quality is much better.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #5 by Bobitis on 25 Oct 2017
  • No help here as I'm not spending $6.99/lb for a pc of meat that can easily become dog food.
  • #6 by mowin on 25 Oct 2017
  • No help here as I'm not spending $6.99/lb for a pc of meat that can easily become dog food.

But just think how happy your dog will be....

• #7 by cookingjnj on 25 Oct 2017
  • Hey hugh.... I also will not be much help.  I have cooked both and did not receive any complaints from either.  I do like SmokinPete's method for selection.
  • #8 by Bobitis on 25 Oct 2017

But just think how happy your dog will be....

I don't have a dog, ergo my comment.
  • #9 by bregent on 25 Oct 2017
  • you can't go by labels .  go pick one of each up .  look at the marbling , but the real test is hold it in the middle . does it fold down on the ends or is it stiff ?   

Just be aware that ones that are vac sealed tighter will feel stiffer than ones that are sealed looser.  When I'm picking through them I find they are vac sealed to various levels, which makes it more difficult to choose.
  • #10 by Bobitis on 25 Oct 2017

Just be aware that ones that are vac sealed tighter will feel stiffer than ones that are sealed looser.  When I'm picking through them I find they are vac sealed to various levels, which makes it more difficult to choose.

^ excellent point^

No pun intended... :rotf:
  • #11 by DE on 25 Oct 2017
  • I have had a very long string of successful Prime grade from Costco. Pricing is super. Never done one with the water however. I’d go with prime!
  • #12 by Bentley on 25 Oct 2017
  • And I always look for the hardest I can find because the harder the fat the more grain the beef has been feed, so everyone has their parameters!
  • #13 by DE on 25 Oct 2017
  • That’s good info Bentley!
  • #14 by pmillen on 25 Oct 2017
  • I usually preface this kind of post with the declaration that my father was a butcher.  He slaughtered, aged, cut, displayed, wrapped meat for over 60 years.  What I'm writing is based on my time working with him and his advice.  Here's what he thought–

â€¢  Beef graders are human.  They make mistakes.  They may grade a side of beef too high or too low.
         â€¢  The grade is established for both sides by always cutting between the same two ribs and examining the marbling and such.  It's possible that other parts of the animal may not grade the same as the part examined.
         â€¢  Prime grade is not worth the money.  He always recommended what he called, "A high grade of Choice."

BTW, when he slaughtered for the family he always selected an Angus heifer.

• #15 by hughver on 26 Oct 2017
  • Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses, especially those regarding how to select a good brisket. Both sources that I quoted have them tightly vacuum packed so there is very little noticeable bend in any of the selection available. I've never heard of Bentley's "hardness of fat" criteria but you live and learn. Tomorrow I'll take a look at them both and roll the dice.
Pages:
Actions