Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by dk117 on 26 Oct 2017
  • I've found packers where the flat was just too thin.  Is anyone else considering that?

DK
    • dk117
  • #17 by West Allis BBQ Man on 26 Oct 2017
  • Right now a choice brisket at woodmans and Walmart are running 2.99 a pound.  Our local costco has the primes for 2.99 also.  For me it is prime first then choice. 
  • #18 by DE on 26 Oct 2017
  • I've found packers where the flat was just too thin.  Is anyone else considering that?

DK

DK, find that a lot, if you can't find on thick enough, you can always fold that part of the flat over to increase thickness. What I have found in my area is that the Costco Prime are cheaper than or the same price as what the stores are charging per # for Choice.
  • #19 by JoeGrilling on 26 Oct 2017
  • I went by my local Costco yesterday they have dropped prime brisket a dime a pound to $2.89.  The meat cabinet was full of them.  It's funny, we have several Costco's in my area and the briskets appear to be coming from at least two different suppliers.  My local store carries briskets in National wrappers and another store a few miles down the road has them in Swift wrappers.
  • #20 by DE on 27 Oct 2017
  • My Costco was at $2.69 for Prime today. Guess they are coming back down.
  • #21 by hughver on 27 Oct 2017
  • Update: After looking at the choice briskets offered by the local grocery, I opted for the Costco prime. I was wanting a 16-17 pounder but found a 14 Lb. that met the criteria that was suggested, it had decent bend, hard fat and a fairly thick flat. I haven't decided whether or not to inject but will trim and rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, porcini powder and a light sprinkle of Tatonka Dust prior to smoking.   
  • #22 by DE on 28 Oct 2017
  • Tatonka Dust! I can’t wait to hear about your tasty outcome!
  • #23 by Bobitis on 28 Oct 2017
  • Update: After looking at the choice briskets offered by the local grocery, I opted for the Costco prime. I was wanting a 16-17 pounder but found a 14 Lb. that met the criteria that was suggested, it had decent bend, hard fat and a fairly thick flat. I haven't decided whether or not to inject but will trim and rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, porcini powder and a light sprinkle of Tatonka Dust prior to smoking.

Hughver; what does the mushroom powder add to the mix? I have a hard time understanding how it would not be over powered by all the rest of the spices.
  • #24 by hughver on 28 Oct 2017
  • I use about a teaspoon of it to give the brisket an added umami (meaty/savory) flavor. I first tried it a year or so ago on a steak and have been using it ever since.
  • #25 by hughver on 28 Oct 2017
  • Update 2: For those of you that are curious, my 13.71 lb. brisket yielded 6.25 lbs. of fat, a 4.8 lb. flat and a 2.65 lb. point. That equates to about $5.80/pound for prime brisket meat. Around here, local stores frequently put choice New York steak on sale for $5.99/lb.  ::)
  • #26 by scdaf on 28 Oct 2017
  • My flirtation with brisket took a hit when I discovered Pepper Stout Beef from the Wolf Pit, made with chuck roast, and is now on life support after I tried chuck sous vide'd for 72 hours at 132 degrees, after a couple hours in smoke @ 150 in the Jim Bowie.  More tender than tenderloin and MUCH better beef flavor.
  • #27 by bregent on 28 Oct 2017
  • Update 2: For those of you that are curious, my 13.71 lb. brisket yielded 6.25 lbs. of fat, a 4.8 lb. flat and a 2.65 lb. point. That equates to about $5.80/pound for prime brisket meat. Around here, local stores frequently put choice New York steak on sale for $5.99/lb.  ::)

Wow, that's almost 50% fat. I usually get the Costco primes at 17+lbs, and they're around 13 lbs after trimming to 1/4".
  • #28 by hughver on 28 Oct 2017
  • Wow, that's almost 50% fat. I usually get the Costco primes at 17+lbs, and they're around 13 lbs after trimming to 1/4".

70-75% sounds about right. However I trimmed all visible fat from both the point and the flat. The point on this particular cut was smaller than I expected.
  • #29 by DE on 28 Oct 2017

Wow, that's almost 50% fat. I usually get the Costco primes at 17+lbs, and they're around 13 lbs after trimming to 1/4".

Guess I don’t trim quite as close as you. I usually trim about 15%, never had one more than 20%. Then I usually get a net of 60% of trim going in. Of course I smoke em a little hotter (275) than most do.
  • #30 by Phrett on 28 Oct 2017
  • I’ve gotten some choice ones that were far better than some primes.  Grading errors do occur, I’m sure, and I don’t know if cut are graded individually or as an entire carcass or side,  now I look for the thickness of the flat and the bend besides marbling.  If you cook to feel rather than temp to be gets the best results, when it feels like jello when tapped it’s perfect, according to Larry’s brisket suggestions.
Pages:
Actions