Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!  (Read 3542 times)

Dakotad11

New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »

Hi all from the good ole Mid Ohio Valley! I'm new to this forum and new to pellet grills, well, smoking all together. I absolutely love grilling but want to take it up a notch.

I have been researching for about 2 months now, and after reading what feels like every review on every grill and every pellet grill related posts on multiple forums, I believe I have narrowed down my choices, no specific order, to what would suit me best but what like some more insight from the more experienced.

Option #1: Yoder Smokers YS640 - $2300 with options of my preference. Love the way it's built, its operation, wonderful fan base and most of all it's looks! My concerns..... pellet consumption???  I have read from multiple reviewers that it eats ~5lbs an hour at temps above 350F.... scary... as I will be using it quite often to grill steaks, chicken, chops, brats, veggies, etc. Offset firebox pros and cons? But I love the fact of the open flame option as well as the baffle.. I think?? Also, the controller doesn't have the reputation of my next two options. How's the warrany? Made in USA

Option #2: Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron - $2040 with options of my preference. Similar look to Yoder which I love. Fast response when contacted Tim via email. Reputable controller. Bigger hopper. Ash clean out. Central firebox pros and cons? Concerns, internals made from 409 stainless which still rusts. Very very little reviews that I have been able to find. How does it grill?? Pellet consumption?? I would really like some input from someone who has used one. Warranty is the worst of all options it appears. How's customer service? Performance? Longevity? Made in USA

Option #3: Rec Tec RT680 - $1450 with options of my preference. Reputable controller. All 304 stainless internals which I feel is a huge plus. Central fire box pros and cons? Huge hopper that doubles as a giant shelf/warmer. HUGE fan base, Rec Tec community seems extremely loyal to the company and to Ray. Wonderful customer service. Really seems like the best bang for my buck but to be honest I absolutely hate the look, ie. bullhorns, I can live with the red and even fab up a different handle no problem, but that adds to the cost. Chine made. Hmm? But great warranty.

All seem like great options but I'm the type of person that does not like buying things multiple times or wish I had went a different route. I'm ok with spending more upfront for something that will last longer, but don't want something hat will eat up my meat money because its a pellet hog. As I said I will be doing alo of high temp grilling as well as low temp smokes and really want to have one versatile machine that does all.

Any and all input is appreciated and I thank you in advance!!!!   :bbq:

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »

Since you say you're going to be grilling quite a bit, have you considered the PG500? It sounds like it might be the best fit for you.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »

Hi Dak.....welcome to the forum.  I know you will find lot's of good information, and so many great people to help with just about any question you might have.  I am also pretty new to the pellet cooking experience.   After months of researching and debating (with myself of course) I finally pulled the trigger earlier this year.  My choices came down to the same three you have been looking at.  Eventually I chose the RT 680, and have not been disappointed.  Most of my cooks have all been low and slow.  Being able to cook at high heat was not one of the deciding factors for me.  I was looking for the low and slow, but to also be able to high heat cook if needed.  Like I said, I have not been disappointed. 
bregent makes a real good point, and might be a good option to look into as well.  Good luck with your decision, look forward to hearing all the good stuff you start making.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »

I have a grid iron. Built like a tank. Great customer service. Pellet consumption is not an issue. Great temp control. I have friends with other grills and they all wish they had this one. Made in USA which was important to me. The 2 year warranty is no big deal because there's very little if any to go wrong. The hot rod is probably the biggest failure on all pellet grills. When u lift the lid and discover how well it's built, your sold. The new updates to the controller is perfect from start up to shutdown. Good luck and wishing you great grillin!
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »

Asking for help will only get you advice from those that are homeys.

There's a lot of info here if you wish to look for it.  Seek and you shall find.  I love my bottom dweller traeger, yet hate it at times.

Please do your own research. No one here is qualified to make up your mind. nor should they.  ::)

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »

Just a few comments that should make this a lot easier to decide.  I have a Smokin Bros. Premium and would not recommend because it as many other units has really not been developed for safe unattended operation;  the majority of the units that auger directly into the burn pot are not safe unattended period unless "Murphy" doesn't live in your world.  Look for a unit that uses pellet drop to fire pot, and if you can't get this feature are you willing to stay with the unit incase you get a pellet jam, power outage, or controller fault that can shut down the grill without warning.  Any of these conditions can lead to the pellets in the tube burning back into the bin, and from there things get ugly fast.  Most auger to pot units must stop the auger and burn the pot clean during shut down, but if this is interrupted for any reason all bets are off.  My choice for a grill would certainly need this pellet drop feature, followed by a direct sear feature secondly but also important unless you just want to smoke.  I spent about $1300. that I wish I would have saved and put in a higher priced grill with pellet drop like the Yoder, Memphis Pro, Cook Shack PG 500, Kuma, or even Firecraft on the lower priced end.  Yes I am "grinding a bit of an axe" but if I hadn't checked just out a gut feeling, my last bin fire could have really done some damage to the grill and $20,000 dollar deck it sits on.  Good luck and I hope you find the right grill the first time!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:35:50 PM by RichW »
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Dakotad11

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »

Thanks everyone for the positive and informative replies!! RichW you bring up a very good point that I had not thought of. Thank you

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:19:53 AM »

I quoted you to give me info to easily reply about the Yoder.

"Option #1: Yoder Smokers YS640 - $2300 with options of my preference. Love the way it's built, its operation, wonderful fan base and most of all it's looks! My concerns..... pellet consumption???  I have read from multiple reviewers that it eats ~5lbs an hour at temps above 350F.... scary... as I will be using it quite often to grill steaks, chicken, chops, brats, veggies, etc. Offset firebox pros and cons? But I love the fact of the open flame option as well as the baffle.. I think?? Also, the controller doesn't have the reputation of my next two options. How's the warrany? Made in USA"

Wow, that expensive?  I got the YS 640 delivered 3.9 years ago under $2000 easy. Got extra top grate, a cover, and the extra outside shelf, not the fancy stainless ones.  I had to pay over $150 to be delivered to Las Vegas.  You are at $2300?  Wow.  5 lbs an hour? Above 350?  Well many opinions on the Internet, hehe.  That usage isn't my experience.  That is totally silly to say it mildly.  I cook a steak at 600f for 30 min WTF?. It's 1 lb to 1.5 lb to cook steaks.

350f is great for turkeys, wonder what the report of 5 lb to 1 hr was cooking.  Can you get more data on that?

I did 9 chickens 4 weeks ago at 275/250 for 3.5 hours.  Might of used 4 lbs.  I have cooked 6 pork butts at once.  Filled the pellet box to the top about 22 lbs at 10 PM.   6 hours later top it off.  Use less than half of that.  I use Lumberjack pellets recently, they are available to me at $.70 a lb in 4 20 lb bags. In the winter, like most smart peeps do, you buy a Harbor Freight welding blanket and a moving blanket or two to cover the pit in the colder days. Used the blanket etc on colder nights on overnight pork butt cooks.

Warranty on Yoder is uber top notch.  I had one issue 3 months into owning it.  I had a terrible noise from a fan.  They shipped me both fans, sealant and directions next day.  Luckily it never happened again, still got the parts.  Never replaced anything even the igniter.  Reading on the Yoder forums they are quick to fix warranty issues since manufactured in USA.  Others could take weeks for parts since parts are made overseas.  Yoder can ship next bus day.  And they do.

Pellet usage issue is less with pits in places on the equator.  More pellets used up North.  The pre-ordered insulation  is a good idea if you get snow, I don't.

All pits use pellets.  Yoder has really thick steel, wayyyy more heat retention than many other brands A YS640 weighs easy over 300 lbs.  Check other brands.  Even the thin stainless ones. They are like toys next to the Yoder..

Once it's heated, (more like a real stick burner) it holds heat and keeps it's temps stable. 

Ohh searing steaks?  Yep.  The searing area is not like a massive 20 lb pile of coals.  Enough sear space for 2-3 steaks same time and with the sear plates they sell ( I have them) it's amazing. 

Baffle.....  Set at 5" pulled out, never move it. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »

15-20 overnight cooks the Yoder has never let me down.  I sleep while it cooks. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

My experience is limited so take that with a grain of salt but I literally gave away (to a member at PH before it went down) a GMG grill due to frustration and bought a Blaz'n Grand Slam.  It is awesome.  So while I can't say it is better than your other options I can say it is fantastic.

Dakotad11

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies. You guys are awesome and really helping my decision. Thanks!!!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

Have you looked into the Camp Chef with the Sear Box that Bentley did a performance review on.  You could buy 3 of them for what you are looking to spend.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MSOLSON

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »

A year ago, I had decided on either the Yoder or Blaz'n grills also. Both are fine, extremely well made grills. I chose a Blaz'n Grand Slam with Pro Shelves, Direct Sear kit, and the Double Insulation hood.  Why? Because Tim at Blaz'n has a great Black Friday sale and gave me a great deal.  The Yoder options that I was considering cost more than comparable options on the Blaz'n. Shipping was going to be about $100 more as well. Very happy with my choice. I leave the Direct Sear kit installed pretty much all the time. This allows the back third of the grill surface for direct heat grilling so I have dual zone grilling options on a daily basis. My Blaz'n direct grills steaks, chops, or anything else just as good as my Kenmore gasser. I've never looked back. Good luck on your decision.
Blaz'n Grand Slam Kenmore Gasser Electric Smoker Brinkman offset smoker

Dakotad11

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »

Well all my decision was made for me over the weekend. I was lucky enough to win a RT680 on custom built cart with custom grill grates and a cold smoker box on a FB page!!! Couldn't be more excited. Cart and grates are being built this week and should be able to pick it up sometime next week! Thanks all for your input!!!

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

Enjoy your new pit.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up