Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Free Mr. Tony on 06 Sep 2017
  • 170* is where I set the controller when I use the warming drawer for steaks, lots of smoke at that setting.

I want to try the same technique with a tri tip roast smoked in the warmer drawer then moved up to zone 4 at 300* to cook, it doesn't get hot enough down there to really cook much of anything in the span of two hours or so.

I did 7 Tri tips all on the pg500 for my daughters graduation a few years ago. Staggered the start time of each. First in drawer, then zone 4, then finish over direct. It worked great.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #17 by InThePitBBQ on 06 Sep 2017
  • Tony those look great!  :clap:
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #18 by pmillen on 06 Sep 2017
  • Yes, they look great.

I don't use the warming drawer enough.  We should start calling it zone 5 as someone suggested a few years ago.
  • #19 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have never tried tri tip.
  • #20 by Free Mr. Tony on 06 Sep 2017

Do you like sirloin steak? If so, you should get a tritip. It's just a really well marbled sirloin that sometimes is a little more tender than a sirloin steak. Some people drive themselves nuts trying to find in their area, and after having many of them I would say generally speaking it's not THAT different than a sirloin steak. If you can easily get ahold of one give it a try, but don't go to great lengths if they are not plentiful in your region.
  • #21 by pmillen on 06 Sep 2017

I think it was initially a California cut.  I used to ask my local chain grocer for it.  The meat manager said they have to order a case.  They did it twice and had to first mark down the trip-tips and then grind them (I think) because they wouldn't sell.  They told me that they would order a complete case for me but I declined.

They may not be available in Saskatchewan.  Omaha Costco has them once in a while.  I can't decide if it's a thin roast or a steak.
  • #22 by Bentley on 06 Sep 2017
  • Grilled tri-tip, run through the slicer for a French Dip, just a great cut I can no longer find...even if I shop outside Mayberry!
  • #23 by pmillen on 06 Sep 2017
  • Do you like sirloin steak? If so, you should get a tritip. It's just a really well marbled sirloin that sometimes is a little more tender than a sirloin steak. Some people drive themselves nuts trying to find in their area, and after having many of them I would say generally speaking it's not THAT different than a sirloin steak. If you can easily get ahold of one give it a try, but don't go to great lengths if they are not plentiful in your region.

FMT, it's been about 50 years since I helped my dad cut and wrap beef and we never cut a side of beef in a way that produced a tri-tip, so I may be a bit off base, here, but it appears to me that the trip-tip is significantly different from a sirloin.

If you were sitting toward the rear of a heifer you'd be sitting on the sirloin.  Well below that, just to the rear of the flank is where I think the trip-tip originates.

As I often say, "Working from memory here."  It may not be difficult to prove me wrong.
  • #24 by pz on 06 Sep 2017
  • Tri-tip is an excellent cut for quick grilling - most flavorful. We were never formerly able to find it at our local grocery stores, but a Winco came in and they occasionally offer perfect dinner grillin' pieces often for less than the cost of ground beef.  If there is a Cash and Carry in your area, they should have three packs of tri-tip.

Not too long ago I purchased tri-tip at $3.78/lb and ground it into burger - my wife liked those burgers even more than ground ribeye burgers.
  • #25 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017

Do you like sirloin steak? If so, you should get a tritip. It's just a really well marbled sirloin that sometimes is a little more tender than a sirloin steak. Some people drive themselves nuts trying to find in their area, and after having many of them I would say generally speaking it's not THAT different than a sirloin steak. If you can easily get ahold of one give it a try, but don't go to great lengths if they are not plentiful in your region.

I will try to source them, I am assuming that you would not cook this past medium or it might be a little tough
  • #26 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017

They may not be available in Saskatchewan.  Omaha Costco has them once in a while.  I can't decide if it's a thin roast or a steak.

I have never seen it here anywhere.I will have to ask my butcher next time I am there
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Sep 2017
  • The only ones that I have ever seen in IL or PA where I have lived were at Sam's Club and they were fresh cryovaced with a peppercorn rub/marinade.  I have made about 5-6 of them.  The biggest challenge for me is that the grain of the meat runs in two different directions on one cut of meat.  You have to be careful slicing so that you don't get a portion of the meat tough because you were not paying attention while slicing.
  • #28 by Bentley on 06 Sep 2017
  • I never take it past medium rare...but I know jimsbarbeque and a lot of early PH swore by cooking in like a Brisket, they would take it beyond 190°.  Maybe Jim will see this and weigh in!

And I was under the impression that the tri-tip was around the hip...obviously triangle-shaped muscle, located below the sirloin section.

But I have seen one website say bottom of sirloin near hip and another says by tail and below the sirloin...Its Anarchy I tell you!

I will try to source them, I am assuming that you would not cook this past medium or it might be a little tough
  • #29 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I would like to try it both ways if I can find it.
  • #30 by Free Mr. Tony on 06 Sep 2017
  • Do you like sirloin steak? If so, you should get a tritip. It's just a really well marbled sirloin that sometimes is a little more tender than a sirloin steak. Some people drive themselves nuts trying to find in their area, and after having many of them I would say generally speaking it's not THAT different than a sirloin steak. If you can easily get ahold of one give it a try, but don't go to great lengths if they are not plentiful in your region.

FMT, it's been about 50 years since I helped my dad cut and wrap beef and we never cut a side of beef in a way that produced a tri-tip, so I may be a bit off base, here, but it appears to me that the trip-tip is significantly different from a sirloin.

If you were sitting toward the rear of a heifer you'd be sitting on the sirloin.  Well below that, just to the rear of the flank is where I think the trip-tip originates.

As I often say, "Working from memory here."  It may not be difficult to prove me wrong.

I am by no means a butcher, and have little experience in breaking down large cuts. All my info comes from reading only, which isn't always the best substitute for the real thing. Most online diagrams I've found list it as part of the sirloin. I've attached a pic that best illustrated what I'm referring to. I always believed it was the triangular shape piece under the term bottom sirloin in the pic beside the flank section. I too could easily be proven wrong. Is there a butcher in the house?

[ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions