Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Yoder

Upkeep & Maintenance YS640

(1/3) > >>

Ckoss:
I’m picking up a “new to me” Ys640 this weekend.  :clap:
Since it is used, I assume seasoning will not be needed, but what other kind of routine maintenance and upkeep does this unit need?  I believe I read somewhere that some people spray the outside of the cooker with spray oil?

Can anyone give me any tips or info?
Thanks

Conumdrum:
I sprayed mine once with PAM.  Bad move.  Kinda sticky.  I have hears some use a quality high temp oil like canola and rub it down.  It'll collect dust though.  You can rub it deeper so that's not a problem.  I don't do that, I live in a very dry climate and my 640 is kept under a cover under a porch.  No rust. 

After every cook I clean out the fire pot area with a small vacuum.  Every once and a while I'll scrape the bottom with a PLASTIC scraper (Home Depot) in the paint dept and vacuum the ash up.  Once or twice a year I scrape the full inside well, give it some Simple green and scrub a bit.  I cover the auger area with foil, and ensure the pellet bin and auger area is 100% free of pellets.  I wash the outside at the same time with a green style sink sponge and soap.

The Grates I wipe down after cool down (still warm) with a stainless scrubbing pad like steel wool just to get the chunks off.  I clean the diffuser plate now and then with a metal scraper, usually after every cook. 

Mudflap:

--- Quote from: Ckoss on October 26, 2017, 11:02:46 PM --- I believe I read somewhere that some people spray the outside of the cooker with spray oil?

Can anyone give me any tips or info?
Thanks

--- End quote ---

When you say "spray oil" are you talking LPS or WD40 spray oil or cooking oil?

I use a LPS or WD40 type oil to clean the outside of my grills. I only do it when cold not after cooking. Used it for years on my ST gas grill before I gave to kids. Outside looked new. I still use it on by GMG DB that is painted about once or more times a year. I just spray some on and wipe off with paper towels. Usually when the wife asks are you going to clean your grill. Again I do this when grill is cold and only on the outside surfaces.

Mudflap

Canadian John:
 NOT the outside. The vegetable coating on the" inside" is for a NEW pit to help develop seasoning..Cooking oil on the outside will make a burnt on mess,or some may consider it a well used look.

triplebq:
When I had my YS640 I just cleaned out the inside ever so often. When the unit got very messy I would soak the grates in a degreaser. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View