Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by LowSlowJoe on 27 Oct 2017
  • I saw this when Tyson Traeger posted to a Facebook group.  When I originally looked at it, I though... Ah, I don't have any need for a 'camp stove'... but after taking a second look...  I'm actually quite interested in these.

https://woodpelletproducts.com/timber-grills/

What are peoples thoughts on these?
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Oct 2017
  • I have only camped 3 times in my life, so certainly don't have any insight to share.  But it does look like it would make living at a camp site a lot easier for the cook instead of using those portable Coleman stoves.  But to be sure, I think someone should purchase one and bring to the Royal next year for us all to view and experiment on!!! :pig:
  • #3 by pmillen on 27 Oct 2017
  • Holy Hannah that's a good idea.  That's much better than the current camping alternatives.  Also great for power failure cooking for those with electric ranges.
  • #4 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Oct 2017
  • Kind of a play on the rocket stove concept. Pretty cool. For the money, it looks pretty protoype-y. I would like to see a cleaned up design, but if it works it's a neat little cooker. 12 pounds of pellets used in 2 hours. Definitely not a smoker. More grill, flattop, oven.
  • #5 by LowSlowJoe on 27 Oct 2017
  • I don't really camp either, I was just thinking, it would be interesting to use as a small pellet grill. Based on some of the photos , you can use it for direct open flame grilling, and as near as I can tell you could do things in the oven too.  The only bad thing I could see was that it seems to say the minimum temperature of the oven part is 300F, that's a bit too hot for most BBQ...  So, maybe it won't work as I had originally thought it might. I wonder why it's not capable of a lower temperature... ??

• #6 by LowSlowJoe on 27 Oct 2017
  • Well, my notion is kind of blown out of the water, by a response I got from Tyson over on the Facebook group, when I asked if you got any decent smokey flavor if cooking in the oven...

His response was...   "Not at all. You must make it smoke by adding chips to drip pan. Or Pellet tube. I actually kind a like this option because I do use this product more as an oven/cooktop then a barbecue."

So, it seems that the device must be designed to burn at very high efficiency, wouldn't work the way I had thought.

• #7 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Oct 2017
  • Well, my notion is kind of blown out of the water, by a response I got from Tyson over on the Facebook group, when I asked if you got any decent smokey flavor if cooking in the oven...

His response was...   "Not at all. You must make it smoke by adding chips to drip pan. Or Pellet tube. I actually kind a like this option because I do use this product more as an oven/cooktop then a barbecue."

So, it seems that the device must be designed to burn at very high efficiency, wouldn't work the way I had thought.

I didn't look closely so I may be wrong, but it appeared to me that the oven just was using the residual heat from the firebox. It would not get any of the actual by product of the fire regardless of temp.
  • #8 by silverbullet on 27 Oct 2017
  • With all due respect, My GMG Davy Crockett can do all this and costs far less, $$$ And when its not busy camping, It has a nice place at home, on its cart, Kicking out fantastic meals!
  • #9 by pmillen on 27 Oct 2017
  • With all due respect, My GMG Davy Crockett can do all this and costs far less, $$$ And when its not busy camping, It has a nice place at home, on its cart, Kicking out fantastic meals!

Is there an item in the Traeger line that's similar to the GMG DC?  I ask because I don't think the Traeger Marketing Department would introduce the Timber Grill if a sale caused them to lose the sale of another of their products.
  • #10 by LowSlowJoe on 28 Oct 2017

Is there an item in the Traeger line that's similar to the GMG DC?  I ask because I don't think the Traeger Marketing Department would introduce the Timber Grill if a sale caused them to lose the sale of another of their products.

These are not Traeger brand products.   The company is owned by a person who's name is Traeger.

Davy Crockett does not work without electricity,  it also doesn't do direct flame grilling, cooking on a skillet might be possible on a Davy Crockett but not very practical.

I have a Davy Crockett,  love it, but it's not a csmp stove like these products that Tyson Traeger has made
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Oct 2017
  • I have to agree with LSJ on this one re the Davy Crockett.  Like I said, I have only camped three times, but if you are making a hot breakfast -- bacon, eggs, etc -- a Davy Crockett isn't going to be too practical to use.  This stove, on the other hand, is a true little stove.  You could probably even cook some biscuits for breakfast in the little oven.  Looks like you could cook a whole dinner on the thing also.  And no electricity to worry about.  It looks like a neat little stove, just too expensive for the very few times I would ever use it.
  • #12 by Mudflap on 28 Oct 2017
  • I wounder if this would work in a wall tent. It would have to have bigger hopper. Don't want to get up every 2 hrs to fill the hopper. Then again I am that age......  :'(

I have a 16x20 wall tent and all I need is a good deal on some kind of pellet stove for it.
    Some options below
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pellets+stove+for+tents&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDztTGypPXAhUBU2MKHY3dAtgQ_AUICygC&biw=1024&bih=628#imgrc=_

Mudflap
  • #13 by pmillen on 28 Oct 2017
  • I wounder if this would work in a wall tent.
    Mudflap

I wondered the same thing.  Then I thought, "Not important.  I'm not Elk hunting any more (unless I can shoot one off of an ATV)."
  • #14 by silverbullet on 28 Oct 2017
  • I take my DC camping all the time. Have run it off the car battery when no electricity available. I cook breakfast's all the time with it. Have a walmart griddle I use with I bent handle to easily cook eggs brown toast etc. And a cookie sheet for bacon. I also made a second shelf for it & have had as much as 3 racks of BB Backs & a pouch of garlic reds cooking at the same time.

My DC is the older style with the small holes on the driptray so open flame is minimal in comparison with the new stainless trays. Other than the microwave. The kitchen in our camper has never been used. DC does it all.

I'm sure this new Traeger pit is very nice & I hope it does well! Just to much money for my needs.
  • #15 by Quadman750 on 02 Nov 2017
  • I think MAK is still working on one.
Pages:
Actions