Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bird in a roasting pan on the smoker?  (Read 3463 times)

imahawki

• Using less gas.
Bird in a roasting pan on the smoker?
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »

Assuming you want to kind of use your smoker as a wood fired oven, has anyone cooked a turkey in a traditional roasting pan to preserve the juices for basting and gravy?

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Bird in a roasting pan on the smoker?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »

Assuming you want to kind of use your smoker as a wood fired oven, has anyone cooked a turkey in a traditional roasting pan to preserve the juices for basting and gravy?
I've always done it in a roasting pan, but for some reason the drippings dry up a lot more than in a standard oven. Maybe because I don't cover the bird with foil in the pellet grill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »

Thanks.  Good info on the drippings.  Maybe I'll seed the pan with some liquid.

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »

Your not missing much in the way of drippings on a smoker cooking whole chickens or turkeys so long as your using enough heat (300*) or more.

Unlike the traditional oven and pan method that leaves the faucet running under the bird , the entire bird is getting heat and air flowing around it crisping up the outside. This is why so many people enjoy a whole bird deep fried, crispy outside all the way around and lots of tender juicy meat inside.

I did a 20 pound turkey yesterday, the catch can had maybe 3 ounces of juice in it when the bird finished this was cooked on a PG 500 at 315* for 3.5 hours and I let them rest a minimum of an hour before slicing another half hour is even better so you don't have juices running out when served they stay plenty hot under foil and towels.

Bottom side was just as crispy and sealed as the top:

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »

Awesome looking Bird. Zone 4. Good Job!
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »

Awesome looking Bird. Zone 4. Good Job!
Thanks!

It was delicious, I prefer to cook whole birds by removing the backbone completely and notching the cartilage in the breasts to allow them to lay flat they cook more evenly and it seems to shorten the time needed for them to finish.

"Spatchcocking" is the term used I believe to flatten them, only way I cook them these days.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:12 PM »

I use liquid chicken stock.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: [1]   Go Up