- 1 (1.7%)
- 2 (3.4%)
More than 8
- 1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 30 Oct 2017
  •  Memphis Pro:smoking and "kissed by fire" for smaller pieces of meat...Large and small  Big Green Eggs;super baked potatoes,searing meat and pizza @ max temp. Weber Genesis N. G.:Seasoning cast iron and any overflow.The side burner is handy.

Recently departed:mini BGE,Weber kettle and Traeger Lil Tex. 
  • #17 by GrillinGlen on 30 Oct 2017
  • The Memphis Pro is my "go to", I bought a GMG Davey Crocket to have a portable unit, its still in its box.  Then I have a big, heavy stick burner that was custom made, but I bought it pretty cheap and did some mods to it. I bought that on a whim, I liked the idea of playing in the fire during cooler weather. I've only cooked on it a couple times, but really liked what came out of it.  Finding time to baby sit it is the problem. 
  • #18 by pmillen on 30 Oct 2017
  • So this gave me pause to consider how in the world did I ever get 4 pieces of equipment to produce food with?
    My mainstay and #1 is the Cookshack PG1000. I got it after reading the old website for about a year and ordered it sight unseen because of the reviews.

#2 Aquisition currently in possession was the Expedition 3X with 24 inch griddle. I have always kept it in storage and used it for cookouts, mostly away from the house, Family events, Church Hamburger days etc. My first experience with one was when I was working and did Customer Hamburger days.

#3 Aquisition came about by deal hunting. I found on a local Garage Sale site a 1997 Cookshack SM160 for sale for $75. It was only posted for 45 minutes so my timing was right. Electronics was faulty so I retrofitted it with an Aubrins control. Worked great for large smokes. That one was sold quickly when my current #3 in possession came to my attention. It is the ST1500CXLD. So the initial $75 was now paying via this purchase, for this one which sells new for just under 3K. Used for large smokes and as a holding oven. I also retrofitted it with the Aubrins and a switch to operate with OEM or the Auber PID. Largest cook was 6 briskets and 50 # of sausage for open house for company I retired from, just wanted to see if I could do it.

#4 Aquisition depleted the remainder of my mad money, but it was such a good buy I couldn't pass it up either. Did I need it no, no way. It was the SI 4D.

#5 is the HSN Blackstone 22 griddle I just ordered this morning. I look forward to cooking whatever on it.

Yay!  Another one for Marcia to read when she starts her "You're obsessive" talk or threatens an intervention.
  • #19 by Tamck1 on 30 Oct 2017
  • Why?  The grass is always greener. Actually, they all do a great job.
  • #20 by Quadman750 on 31 Oct 2017
  • Memphis Elite- pellet
    Memphis Pro- pellet
    Vision Kamado- charcoal
    Weber Performer- charcoal
    Vermont Castings- gas
    Portable gas grill- gas
    Open fire pit with grate- split wood
    Camp Chef Expedition- gas
  • #21 by keithj69 on 31 Oct 2017
  • i too read this poll wrong,

gmg DB
    GMG DC
    Blazn gridiron
    2 vertical propane smokers (retired)
    akorn jr (char)
    small weber kettle (char)
    small propane tailgater from sams
    lodge habachi (char)
  • #22 by bproffer on 31 Oct 2017
  • I am currently at 4.

1. Traeger Timberline 1300- Currently gets the most use out of the four cookers. I'll start it up right when I get home from work and usually cook chicken or pork chops for the evening meal.

2. Kamado Joe Big Joe- I previously owned an XL BGE and loved it but needed more room and sold it. When I saw this at a Costco roadshow, I couldn't pass it up. Main use is steaks, pizza and Rotisserie.

3. Cookshack FEC100- Was my main smoker for a few years and while catering. Around here, more people wanted tri-tip and chicken then pulled pork and brisket, so it mainly got used as a holding oven when we were on location. We would also crank it as high as we could get it to roast root veggies, potatoes, and other sides. It is also nice for large family gatherings. Currently it sits disassembled on my patio. I took it apart for a deep cleaning and now I need to replace the temp probe, door gaskets and repaint the pellet hopper. It is older and originally came with a Traeger controller (before FEC started making the IQ series controllers). I'd love to upgrade to a IQ5 controller but last I checked it was very cost prohibitive.

4. Weber Genesis gas grill. Bought a junker off of Craigslist and refurbished it. Looked brand new when done. Is/was used by the wife to grill burgers, chicken etc. I'll use it to sear a steak if I am feeling lazy.

I have a very small patio dominated by the cookers. I have a portion of my backyard where I would love to make a space for them all, but that will have to wait until I get more time & money.
Pages:
Actions