Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza Crust  (Read 508 times)

Plant175

• Using less gas.
Pizza Crust
« on: May 27, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »

I’m new to pellet grilling and last night we threw a couple of pizzas on the grill but the crust was not as crispy as I thought they would get. We placed them on a stone which was preheated to 425 degrees . I did turn it up to 450 degrees after I see the crust was not getting crispy. What temp should I be at ?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Pizza Crust
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »

These are store bought?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »

The temp that you bake a pizza depends on the style you are making. For a thin crust NY style, I like to run around 550-575 and preheat the stone for at least 45 minutes. For thicker crusts and pizza with lots of toppings, bake at a lower temp.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »

As bregent eluded to, the stone may have not been to temp depending on preheat time. If you have an Infrared thermometer, check the stone temp. I would highly recommend one if you don't have one.

If you have your temps evened out, you should be able to get a nice crust at that temp depending on the dough. It's all about balance. Ideally, you would want the air temp around the grill to be a little higher than the stone temp so that the top of the pizza cooks at the same rate as the bottom.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »

I have never made a pizza but it's on my bucket list. I like every bite of my pizza crust to be crunchy. In addition to thickness, does the dough recipe or flour type affect crunchiness?  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Plant175

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »

Thanks I bet I didn’t have the stone hot enough

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »

I met a guy a year or two ago, who's family owns a pizza place in New Jersey, they've operated it since the early 70's.   As I understand it, prior to that they had lived in New York and the original owner had worked in various pizza places in New York, the move to NJ to open up on his own happened in the early 70s.

I've been told by the son of this pizza place , that 550F is the perfect temperature.  Now, they cook in large gas fired stone surfaced deck ovens, like are quite common around the country. 

I personally feel that is about right, but have also had good luck with up around 650F.   Of course even 550F, is hard to do well on many home ovens, and especially hard on your typical pellet grill, where 650F is almost out of reach on most pellet grills, unless maybe you have one of the GMG Pizza Oven attachments ( and then it's easy to hit 750F , or even maybe slightly higher on the stone ). But, honestly the main trick in terms of heat, is to get top heat and bottom heat very even... that is, if your stone is at 550F, your air above it needs to be pretty darn close to 550F.  If your stone is 550F and the air above it , only 450F, it just doesn't really work that well.  If your stone is at 750F and the air above it is only 550F, it's even wors IMHO. 

Anyway, aside from temperature, there are different ways to formulate a pizza dough , such that it will work better or worse at whatever temperature  you can get.

In all honesty, pellet grills AREN'T the best thing to cook pizza on, it takes a lot of fiddling, and while I've come really close to the best I've ever made on my PG500, it's still very challenging to do really well.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Lothar1974

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Never trust a skinny chef
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »

I have good luck with the dough I make and using a stone at 550 degrees. I let the stone heat up for at least 30 minutes.

Memphis Elite MES40 1st Gen MES40 2.5 Gen Blackstone 36' Griddle

Ralphie

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »

Those look fantastic.

Does anybody have experience using pizza dough from Publix Grocery Store?  It's the fresh Publix brand dough in their deli/bakery area.   
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

bregent

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »

Those look fantastic.

Does anybody have experience using pizza dough from Publix Grocery Store?  It's the fresh Publix brand dough in their deli/bakery area.

I've never used dough from Publix, but I've tried dough from many grocery stores and most are pretty decent. However, homemade is always better and you'll get more consistent results. If you have a stand mixer, it's really fast and easy - but even without one, doesn't take much work. You can make it so it's ready to use in a few hours, or store it in the fridge for several days to a week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up