Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Louis vs Loin Back Ribs  (Read 1425 times)

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
St. Louis vs Loin Back Ribs
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »

Local Wal-Mart has frozen spares at $1.74/lb. I wanted to get them put also wanted ribs for dinner last night and I didn't have the time to thaw so, I decided to experiment with St. Louis and Loin Back Ribs.  Price was about $2.90 lb when averaged out over both. Did the 50-50 salt/pepper mix on both. Same mix I use on brisket. Started out on my Daniel Boone at 170 and raised the temp 20 degrees every hour for the 4 hours and kept it at 250 for the next 1.5 hours. I dry rubbed the loin backs and sauced the St. Louis ones with a half hour to go. First try with Oklahoma Joe's sauce. I really like it.  Next time I will cut back on the pepper a tad bit when seasoning them. Just using salt and pepper seemed to bring out more of the flavor of the pork and not all the spices from the rub. They both turned out really well.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:48:32 AM by Clonesmoker »

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: St. Louis vs Loin Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

Can't go wrong with ribs  :lick: Nicely done.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »

Nice to see something done in a different way, and they look good.   For added flavour try coating with maple syrup 24 hrs before applying the rub that is applied 1 hr before the cook.

We are having back ribs for dinner one of my favourites.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »

Nice looking racks!  I'm a big fan of keeping things simple also, I always add a touch of garlic.  Next time I cook ribs i will try this method. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

Good lookin' ribs.  I love ribs but I make such a mess of myself that I think I should go to the coin-operated car wash.  Marcia stays silent.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

cyberstud

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »

Great looking ribs!  I've converted my family to loin back ribs.  Seem to be much meatier, and people like them better.  Thanks for doing a comparison!

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »

We have also gone to backribs at my house.

Here is another option to try as well as Canadian John's. With all my ribs I put rub on them long before cook time.  I will usually put rub on the ribs 1st thing in the morning, then they go into the fridge until time to cook.  I do not cover them, I leave them open so they can breath.  Fire up the smoker around noon and on they go.  The rub by that point has drawn some moisture out of he meat and formed a nice crust of rub that carmelizes well and really adds to the flavor.  I have tried a few different rubs, but have found Meathheads Memphis dust gives us the best flavor.

BBQ-Tip

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:36:01 PM »

Are loin backs the same as baby backs?

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:43:03 AM »

Are loin backs the same as baby backs?

Yes, they are.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Clonesmoker

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »

We have also gone to backribs at my house.

Here is another option to try as well as Canadian John's. With all my ribs I put rub on them long before cook time.  I will usually put rub on the ribs 1st thing in the morning, then they go into the fridge until time to cook.  I do not cover them, I leave them open so they can breath.  Fire up the smoker around noon and on they go.  The rub by that point has drawn some moisture out of he meat and formed a nice crust of rub that carmelizes well and really adds to the flavor.  I have tried a few different rubs, but have found Meathheads Memphis dust gives us the best flavor.

I have that recipe on the inside of our cabinet that has our spices in it. I am not a big fan of a lot of garlic and cut back on that and the rosemary, it seems to overpower the taste. I split the white sugar between using white and turbinado sugar.  I have never use the same recipe for this though. I will add coffee grounds, ground mustard, chile powder.  Also thinking about trying the granulated brown sugar or maple sugar some time as a sub for brown sugar.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »

I have been using granulated brown sugar in my rub for about 25 years.  Love that stuff.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:34 AM »

I have been using granulated brown sugar in my rub for about 25 years.  Love that stuff.

How is that different from regular brown sugar? Is it available in regular super markets or would I need to find it in a specialty shop?
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit
Pages: [1]   Go Up