Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are You Doing Anything Spooky for Halloween ?  (Read 665 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Are You Doing Anything Spooky for Halloween ?
« on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »

I loved Halloween as a little kid.  Our neighborhoods were so safe, we were allowed to trick-or-treat by ourselves even at young ages.  Unfortunately, now that we are out in the country, no little trick-or-treaters to greet and admire costumes.

I guess I should try and think of something "scary" to eat for dinner, but I'm not too creative that way.  Any of you have special plans for Halloween -- or maybe your house is the spooky one on the block that all the kids really want to visit and be scared by?

cyberstud

Re: Are You Doing Anything Spooky for Halloween ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »

My family moved into a new neighborhood this year, and my wife and I were discussing how we could get out and meet the neighbors.  There are tons of families with small kids like ours, but as life becomes more digital, it seems to get more difficult to connect.  We decided we're going to setup in the driveway and  have water bottles, popcorn, and a chocolate fountain.  In addition, we set up a ton of Halloween decorations and lights in the yard, and will be playing spooky sounds.  We hope the smell of our popcorn machine wafts into the neighborhood encouraging people to follow the smells and stop by.  Of course, we'll also be handing out candy as well.

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »

years ago when we moved out to the country we started going to my SILs house that gets good trick or treat traffic.  Our kids and there's out grew it but now they have grandkids so we keep it going.  I miss the days when I had a cockroach farm, I had a good time with those on Halloween. (the kids had lizards and I raised feeder roaches instead of those nasty crickets) One year I used some low temp hot glue to attach some fishing line to its shell and had the other end of the line tied to a safety pin attached to my shirt.  Being that they like warm/dark I would keep him in my shirt pocket and pull him out and let it run across my shirt when people came by.  Most kids thought it was cool and wanted to pet it, but the adults kinda freaked.  One year I just had 2 candy buckets, one with candy the other with a few hundred of those in it, I would ask which bucket they wanted then let them look in both.  I wanted to have them blindly put there hands in it but was afraid some parent might not see the humor.  After the kids got rid of there lizards I sold off the roach farm to a another roach breeder, there was approx. 4000 total. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:11:56 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »

I'm not doing anything spooky for Halloween this year.  It can backfire.

Reflector eyes in this tree caused accidents.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »

I'm the party pooper. I don't care for any made up 'holiday' that involves corporate greed simply for the sake of it.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

I'm the party pooper. I don't care for any made up 'holiday' that involves corporate greed simply for the sake of it.
In some ways I agree, however in the old days anyway, it was homemade costumes, popcorn balls, candy apples and a bunch of little kids with their basket and flashlight walking through safe neighborhoods having fun. Corporate greed is something that is everywhere, traditional fun is waning. However it came about and however it ends, time will tell. Christmas is coming and same applies but I still like it. It's a special time. 4th of July, anyway My "soap box is out of soap".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:26:28 PM by yorkdude »

dk117

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »

In some ways I agree, however in the old days anyway, it was homemade costumes, popcorn balls, candy apples and a bunch of little kids with their basket and flashlight walking through safe neighborhoods having fun. Corporate greed is something that is everywhere, traditional fun is waning. However it came about and however it ends, time will tell. Christmas is coming and same applies but I still like it. It's a special time. 4th of July, anyway My "soap box is out of soap".
I'm not a fan of Valentines Day (what I call Hallmark Day.) So I understand the sentiment.  But I am more of cyberstuds thinking.   We have lots of little ones stop by.  I'll see more of my neighbors tomorrow night than the rest of the year combined.  I'll be handing out handfuls of candy, order some pizza for the family and take turns with my youngest to trick or treat.   It's all good fun.

DK

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

My Mom made nearly all our costumes.  One year she got some packing boxes from the grocery store and painted them and my older sister and I went as a pair of dice.  When he was about 3 and 4, she would dress Bent up as a little girl, like a little doll.  I don't know why, but he was so good natured and all the neighbors got a kick.

I never really thought of Halloween as a corporate holiday, but my childhood was decades and decades ago, so maybe now with pre-made costumes and expensive candy it is.  I still just think of it as a great neighborhood time -- but then we knew everyone for several blocks, so maybe a different era.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »

And people wonder why I have no memory of my childhood...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

I think we will move this to the "TMI Board" and may it never see the light of day again  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

When he was about 3 and 4, she would dress Bent up as a little girl, like a little doll.  I don't know why, but he was so good natured and all the neighbors got a kick.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »

And people wonder why I have no memory of my childhood...

At least it was childhood. I was informed this year that my wife and I were going as the Golden Girls with another couple. My beard as well as some other attributes do NOT make a pretty Blanche
Pages: [1]   Go Up