Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by tewharaunz on 09 May 2018
  • I've been using the Traeger Lil' Tex insulation jacket on my Traeger Pro 22 and I'm convinced it's using less pellets.  However, it's only going to get colder over the next few months here in the frozen South...

I've got the Traeger sitting on 2x2 boards (1 across the front and 1 across the back) on a Stainless workbench and was toying with the idea of blocking the gap around the bottom of the auger and letting the fan pull the air under the firebox (between the two 2x2s) and thus "pre-heat" the intake air.

Anybody see the glaring flaws in my plan?

Cheers, David
  • #17 by Bobitis on 09 May 2018
  • I've been using the Traeger Lil' Tex insulation jacket on my Traeger Pro 22 and I'm convinced it's using less pellets.  However, it's only going to get colder over the next few months here in the frozen South...

I've got the Traeger sitting on 2x2 boards (1 across the front and 1 across the back) on a Stainless workbench and was toying with the idea of blocking the gap around the bottom of the auger and letting the fan pull the air under the firebox (between the two 2x2s) and thus "pre-heat" the intake air.

Cheers, David

I don't see any flaws, but I doubt it would make any difference. Seems to me that pulling that volume of air under the unit would suck the heat out of the bottom. Sounds like a trade off to me.  :2cents:
  • #18 by slaga on 09 May 2018

Cheers, David

You are going to lose heat through the bottom anyway. As long as you are not restricting air flow, go for it.
  • #19 by okie smokie on 10 May 2018
  • I have the traeger insulation blanket for my Texas grill.  I have also been using a PID as I couldn’t stand the traeger temp controller.

I rarely use my blanket

I live in OK so the winters aren’t as cold here as many other places and traeger warns against using it in Temps above 35 degrees.

I have no doubt that the blanket improves fuel efficiency as you would expect insulation to do.

The blanket is nice to have on hand for those rare occasions I might need it but I feel like if you have a PID and live in the warmer climates you probably won’t use it much.
    I'm in Tulsa, and my son has a Traeger Lil Tex and uses the Traeger overcoat on his year around. (for over two years now). I am not sure how the pit looks underneath, but it is used 3 or 4 times a week and no complaints.   :2cents:
  • #20 by Okie52 on 19 May 2018
  • I have the traeger insulation blanket for my Texas grill.  I have also been using a PID as I couldn’t stand the traeger temp controller.

I rarely use my blanket

I live in OK so the winters aren’t as cold here as many other places and traeger warns against using it in Temps above 35 degrees.

I have no doubt that the blanket improves fuel efficiency as you would expect insulation to do.

The blanket is nice to have on hand for those rare occasions I might need it but I feel like if you have a PID and live in the warmer climates you probably won’t use it much.
    I'm in Tulsa, and my son has a Traeger Lil Tex and uses the Traeger overcoat on his year around. (for over two years now). I am not sure how the pit looks underneath, but it is used 3 or 4 times a week and no complaints.   :2cents:

Well to each his own.

I’m not knocking the jacket, just saying I don’t and won’t use it very often, particularly since I live in a state with a warmer climate.

Pages:
Actions