Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointing Scallop Cook  (Read 4492 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Disappointing Scallop Cook
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »

I bought these at Costco last week.  They were U 10 thawed, but previously frozen.  I knew I was not going to use right away, so figured no problem to freeze.  Thawed them out in a 6% brine for 90 minutes.  You can see how hot the pan was, the sear was not to my liking, but it was adequate.  I did not think they needed to be washed for grit, I was wrong. 

On to cook and taste, about 2 minutes a side, pulled at 130°.  I used the fond and scallop liquor, along with butter and garlic for a sauce for the fettuccine.  They had a slightly fishy taste, which was not horrid, but was disappointing.  1st time I have been disappointed with a Costco product in a long time.  At $17/lb, more expensive then Tenderloin, so again, not pleased. If I ever try it again from them, will make sure it used the day I buy them

Slightly over cooked, and the garlic was not sautéed enough, both on me! 

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Disappointing Scallop Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »

I always buy the frozen ones at Costco in the freezer section. The unfrozen ones in the counter are just some that have been defrosted, so not fresh.  Never heard of thawing in brine, seems that would make them take on more water and dilute the flavor, no? Costco is the only place around here where I have been able to find scallops that are not treated with phosphate (STP).  The treated ones just release too much moisture when cooking and don't sear very well - plus you're paying for all of the retained water which dilutes the flavor. 

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »

The sear in the pan looks really good but it does look less once in the fettuccine? Either way I think it looks good, too bad you were disappointed.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:47 PM »

I always buy the frozen ones at Costco in the freezer section.

Ditto, I've bought them out of the freezer many times and never fishy.  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »

I knew they weren't fresh, reason why I said they had been previously frozen.

No.  Same as brining Salmon.

Never heard of thawing in brine, seems that would make them take on more water and dilute the flavor, no?

bregent

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:44:30 PM »

>I knew they weren't fresh, reason why I
> said they had been previously frozen.

Yeah, I knew that you knew, was just clarifying if others ran into them.

>No.  Same as brining Salmon.

Hmmm. Everything I read says do NOT brine dry scallops because they will soak up moisture which makes them harder to sear. Just rinse to remove grit, then dry thoroughly.  For wet scallops, a brine can help get a better sear by removing the phosphate.  Costco scallops are dry scallops.

Did you brine them because they were defrosted, or is that your standard prep?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:59:13 PM by bregent »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:13:53 PM »

Just standard prep.  No trouble searing them.  But I dry all my scallops real well before I cook them.  But they sure were a disappointment with the fishy taste.

But I won't waste my money on the road show stuff again, will just look for the frozen as you suggest.  I guess I have never noticed them.  I am gonna assume they are less then $17/lb. and it sounds like they are better!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 02:23:12 AM »

As I recall, they are still $17/lb.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »

I have been told that fish or seafood that taste or smell "fishy" are not fresh. That has been my experience as a long time fisherman also. Even fresh herrings are not "fishy" unless they were out of the water for some time before freezing or processing. I suspect that your scallops had too much time in the defrosted state either before or after the first freeze? For the fish, I assume that it is the slime that they exude that smells so bad when exposed to air. 
We have a locally (and recognized nationally) famous seafood restaurant here in Tulsa, and tho they have a fishmarket also in the restaurant, there is rarely any fishy smell inside.  My favorite is their fried scallops, which are battered lightly and done in butter.  They are always sweet and tasty.  Their display counters for restaurant and fish market are separated, but they clean them out frequently (don't know the schedule but have been there at times when they scrub and hose them down. I am going to try to find out what they use to batter them so I can duplicate at home.  :2cents:

bregent

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

Just standard prep.  No trouble searing them.  But I dry all my scallops real well before I cook them.  But they sure were a disappointment with the fishy taste.

But I won't waste my money on the road show stuff again, will just look for the frozen as you suggest.  I guess I have never noticed them.  I am gonna assume they are less then $17/lb. and it sounds like they are better!

I'm not sure about the road show prices but the price for the frozen is always the same as the price for the ones that they defrost and put into those shrink wrapped Styrofoam containers in the fresh fish section. Last week they were about $14/lb in the Bay area. The frozen ones are with all the other frozen fish and shrimp and sold in 2lb bags. I divide up the bag into meal size portions and vac seal and freeze them. Otherwise they tend to get some freezer burn after opening the bag. They may be smaller than U10, maybe U12, but still large enough.

Edit: I see right on the bag it says 15-20 per lb :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:32:36 PM by bregent »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

I think so!  I remember when we did the contest in Apex, NC.  I did a stuffed avocado with crab in the anything butt category.  Was advised to go to a seafood shop in Raleigh and as soon as i went into the place it smelled "fishy"...I knew I was in trouble right then!

I have been told that fish or seafood that taste or smell "fishy" are not fresh.

I will give those a try.  Will see if they are the same price here. $3 less will be nice. U12 will be fine. 

Do you recall if they have smaller sizes?  I am finding I like a smaller, almost Bay Scallop in my pasta as it is easier to eat and I think a Diver Scallop need to be eaten the day it is shelled, and that is gonna be $40/lb and you need to be on the coast!

Last week they were about $14/lb in the Bay area. The frozen ones are with all the other frozen fish and shrimp and sold in 2lb bags.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:04:09 PM by Bentley »

ZCZ

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »

Wrap them in bacon and cook them on your Pro next time.  Great for an appetizer.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »

I do like them grilled, to lazy last go...Never been a fan of the bacon wrap!

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »

I do like them grilled, to lazy last go...Never been a fan of the bacon wrap!

Unless you can get the bacon crisp, they just make things greasy. IMO.  :2cents:

heffneil

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »

My wife makes a delicious dish (one of the few things she cooks) that is linguine with scallops (the little ones) and shrimp.  Its with shallot, olive oil and maybe some garlic.  She sautes the seafood with the shallot and the shrimp with the oil and garlic and boils the pasta.  She then dumps frozen peas in with the seafood to warm them up and dumps it over the pasta.  She doesn't cook often but this one is a home run. The shallots are great because they aren't SO oniony but easier on the digestive system but tastes great.  I don't know where she got the recipe but she has been making it for probably 10 years.  She has done it over spinach during the low carb attempts as well.  Really a nice dish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up