Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Pork Steak Recipe  (Read 1352 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Need Pork Steak Recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »

I have never done them at higher temps, this is a great thread and it is giving  me ideas of things to try, I guess I always did them lower temp to get some smoke to them and thinking along the line of the long cooks for butts to make them tender, so I just kind of cooked the pork steaks in the same fashion.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »

Pellet grill.  However, for a single 1/2 " loin steak, I might just also just put it in a med-hot skillet with a little oil(same seasoning).  Why kill a gnat with a sledgehammer? Also, you can coat with egg white and then coat with flour and use the same skillet with a little oil. The last way is how my mom made thin pork chops, and then did fried apples with brown sugar to go with them. "Pork Chops, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways."   :lick:

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »

Yeah, not all pork steaks are created equal. I've seen some cut from the shoulder which obviously take a long time to break down. The one's cut close to the loin don't have much fat or connective tissue, and will dry out quickly if overcooked.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »

This one's obviously cut from the shoulder, like the St. Louis originals.  If it weren't so thin I'd be cookin' it, based on the great suggestions you've provided.  But I'm still undecided.  I think I'm going to brine it in some apple concoction.  After that...
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 11:35:27 AM »

I'm four years late in providing closure to my question.  Sorry.

As I recall, I pretty much followed okie smokie's suggestion.  I didn't brine them.  I seasoned them and grilled them hot and fast over charcoal.  They were acceptable.  I'm sure they would have been better if they would have been thicker.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 08:56:55 PM »

Guys who compete in STL like 1.5" thick steaks. Heavy pork rub of your choice and smoke 225 degrees 1.5 hours. Wrap and put couple knife SMALL slits in bottom of foil to let grease drip out. Kick temp to 350 and steam for 1 hour. Drop temp to 220 degrees and put steak back on smoker. Sauce top and let set about 15 min. Flip and sauce other side of meat pulling in 15 min.

I followed this recipe exactly, in my MAK 2-Star.  A 1½-inch pork steak is like a slightly thin pork roast.  I used sweet and vinegar BBQ sauce mixed 50/50.  There was a bit left over so I lightly drizzled it over the sliced pork before serving.

It was amazingly good.  We had one person as company for dinner and he couldn't resist eating more and more.

Thanks for posting, BC Buck.
Paul

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 06:12:43 AM »

In STL its sticky and sweet sauce. I hate to lose some of the smoke flavor wrapping in foil but gets them tender.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up