Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by 02ebz06 on 11 Mar 2021
  • Can pizzas be done on a pan or better to bake on a steel or stone?
    Answer: Depends on type of pizza.  Any type of thick crust (Chicago, Detroit, Sicilian, etc.) need a pan.
    New York, American, or many thin crust pizzas can be on a steel or stone.

Next question is is pizza dough pretty much the same just treated differently when it comes time to make it
    Answer: Nope, different pizzas are done differently.   Neapolitan requires a 00 type flour and cooks at a very high heat (900f +).
    Mostly same ingredients but different amounts make different styles of pizza.

I would like the pizzas he makes, but the people I cook for not so much, they usually don't eat the outside edge crust and just the auce a small amount of cheese and Oh the green stuff why did you put that on there? So I would be looking to make a more traditional pepperoni type like you would get from the Hut or a bar.
    Answer:  Pizza Hut would fall into the Cracker Crust style.
    Thin crust or cracker crust are usually made on a perforated pan or a screen.

I have a Pizza Hut clone recipe I have been experimenting with.
    I can post the recipe if you like.

You should be able to do any style pizza (except Neapolitan) in the pellet grill or home oven with a stone/steel.

• #47 by BigDave83 on 11 Mar 2021
  • Can pizzas be done on a pan or better to bake on a steel or stone?
    Answer: Depends on type of pizza.  Any type of thick crust (Chicago, Detroit, Sicilian, etc.) need a pan.
    New York, American, or many thin crust pizzas can be on a steel or stone.

Next question is is pizza dough pretty much the same just treated differently when it comes time to make it
    Answer: Nope, different pizzas are done differently.   Neapolitan requires a 00 type flour and cooks at a very high heat (900f +).
    Mostly same ingredients but different amounts make different styles of pizza.

I would like the pizzas he makes, but the people I cook for not so much, they usually don't eat the outside edge crust and just the auce a small amount of cheese and Oh the green stuff why did you put that on there? So I would be looking to make a more traditional pepperoni type like you would get from the Hut or a bar.
    Answer:  Pizza Hut would fall into the Cracker Crust style.
    Thin crust or cracker crust are usually made on a perforated pan or a screen.

I have a Pizza Hut clone recipe I have been experimenting with.
    I can post the recipe if you like.

You should be able to do any style pizza (except Neapolitan) in the pellet grill or home oven with a stone/steel.

Thank you. So Vito's NEO pizza dough recipe is not what I would want to use to make a regular type pizza. I do love a good thin crust pizza, I have been using tortilla or thin store bought crust for them.

I guess I need to do more research on the different styles. Deep dish or Detroit is not what I am currently looking for.
  • #48 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2021
  • I think you should try the Neo and see.  I have used that type of dough, just a bit thicker and usually cook it in 7-9 minutes.
  • #49 by 02ebz06 on 13 Mar 2021
  • Pizza Saturday...  Pepperoni and 'shrooms.

• #50 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Mar 2021
  • Do you enjoy having that much crust on the outside of the pie?
  • #51 by 02ebz06 on 13 Mar 2021
  • Not usually that big, I didn't stretch it as much as I should have.
    Has a good flavor with the 72h cold ferment in the fridge, so, I'm OK with it.
  • #52 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2021
  • Your outer crust is to die for!
  • #53 by yorkdude on 13 Mar 2021
  • You pizza people as well as baking people just blow me away. All of it looks absolutely fantastic.
  • #54 by 02ebz06 on 13 Mar 2021
  • FYI Lew, It's mostly air, not solid dough.
  • #55 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Mar 2021
  • FYI Lew, It's mostly air, not solid dough.

Unlike Bentley, I am not a fan of a wide amount of outer edge on the pizza.
  • #56 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2021
  • Whatsa matta wit u?

• #57 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Mar 2021
  • Whatsa matta wit u?

I also like red sauce too.
  • #58 by BigDave83 on 13 Mar 2021
  • That looks good.

How do you cook yours?

I am going to give it a shot tomorrow, using the gas grill and a stone, I was looking for a way to box the stone so it held heat above but couldn't find anything today that I thought I could make work. I made the starter or poolish, I think it is called his morning. will get up and finish it off in the morning. Using AP flour as i was not able o find anything else at the places I stopped today. The little Mennonite store up the road from me has what looks to be every brand and type of flour made except 00. I stopped at the Italian market and they did not have any either, there were some empty spots, I did find Semolina. I mainly stopped to buy some pre-baked crusts in case my dough is a bust.
  • #59 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2021
  • Believe me, there are a few guys on  this site that can and will help you get the dough dialed in, just don't be afraid to ask them!
  • #60 by BigDave83 on 13 Mar 2021
  • Believe me, there are a few guys on  this site that can and will help you get the dough dialed in, just don't be afraid to ask them!

That is one of the great things about this community and forum, that you folks have put together. It is pellet cooking but so much more and the people here are always helpful. Make me feel bad for those that are not a part of it.
Pages:
Actions