Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way  (Read 8009 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »

That being said, not all sugars are at 350. Fructose is 230 and most are at 320 with Maltose being at 350.

I didn't know that.  I haven't been at this "cooking" very long so I rely on what I think is expert advice and commit a lot to memory.  My source for the 350°F statement seemed to be a reasonable authority but who knows?  Here's the last paragraph in the burning sugar treatise on which I have been relying, "To re-cap, then: brown sugar, white sugar, purple sugar, rainbow sugar, apple sugar, powdered sugar, beet sugar, grape sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup, agave syrup, in other words ALL common edible sugars, begins to carbonize at just about 350°f- and if left long enough or gotten hot enough, will burst into very smelly flame - you won't like it, so get yourself a good oven thermometer."
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »

didn't say burnt, they were over caramelized  ;) I doubt in my case it was faulty Temp control as it was on my Competition Pit but having said that i'm only relaying my experience please feel free to give it a go on your GMG, Traeger or other center fire box pellet smoker just be sure you follow FE's instructions and your setting your Temp to 275*, If they turn out great congrats if not you were forewarned  :rotf:

All sugars begin to burn at 350°F.  So, it appears to me that reports of burned sugars might be a case of the pits being well above the recommended 275°F.

I don’t want to sound critical of technique or demean any pit’s temperature control but I don’t see any other explanation for the burned sugar.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up