Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 19 Feb 2018
  • Oh, the Ginzu commercial to use as a guide...I did not associate the two.  It actually is better then what I will do, so I will search youtube right now.
  • #17 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Feb 2018
  • The paper test is always a good one. Dull knife will just rip the paper unevenly if it cuts at all. A sharp knife will glide right through.
  • #18 by Goosehunter51 on 19 Feb 2018
  • Will it shave the hair on your arm?  Have to be careful on that one, and no alcohol allowed until finished.
  • #19 by yorkdude on 19 Feb 2018
  • The guy who sharpens mine makes knives. They are King Knives , his name is Harvey and he has a fantastic following. Not sure what others think but he will do the paper first and then he kind of "scuffs" a finger nail. Imagine approximately a 20 degree angle and a very gentle push. If it don't move it is a razor. I am not describing it correctly but it works. ????
    I own several and they really are slick, he lives about an hour from me and met him through his sons.
  • #20 by pmillen on 19 Feb 2018
  • I am also very interested in this performance test. I’m also interested in how it compares to the Edge Pro Apex 3 Knife Sharpener if anyone has experience with both.

I've used the Work Sharp, Apex, Lansky and KME Precision (similar to Lansky but a bit better).

The Apex is not at all easy to use.  Lansky and KME are more user friendly.  All three will put a abundantly sharp edge on a knife if you take the time work your way down from coarse stones to the ultra fine hones.
  • #21 by Bentley on 19 Feb 2018
  • The fantasy (and maybe they really are this sharp) ultimate test of sharpness for me would be the scene in 47 Ronin.  It is towards the end, they have all pledged their lives to avenge their Lord.  They are signing a document and marking it with their fingerprint in blood, they open their sword, lightly touch their thump to the blade and make their mark...

It is at the 2:30 mark...
    That is a sharp blade...
  • #22 by pmillen on 19 Feb 2018
  • I saw, hundreds of times, my father shave his arm and the fingernail test.

If you're going to try to shave with it, just wet your forearm and push the knife straight down.  You'll cut if you make even the slightest slicing motion.
  • #23 by DMAXNAZ on 20 Feb 2018
  • Mine sits in a box. One weekend I finally opened it and sharpened every knife in my kitchen. It was easy to use and put a nice sharp edge on my knives and scissors. I bought this to replace a chefs choice. I would have to find it to see the model, but it has 3 stones. It sharpened great, but left the ugliest marks down the sides of my knives. After using it the first time I just figured the marks would go away. Nope, can't get rid if them. It never made sense to me because it looks like the side of the knife just slid against  plastic. I need to take a pic and post it.
  • #24 by LowSlowJoe on 20 Feb 2018
  • Ever have a Cutco salesman come to your house?

One of the things they do, is have you go to your kitchen and get your sharpest knife...  They then take out a hunk of rope... Not sure if it's hemp rope or what, but it's like the old school twisted fiber rope.  But anyway, they like drag the knives across the rope and show you how well they cut through it ( usually about a 3/8ths to 1/2" thick rope ).

Arm shaving works... :)    but after a while, even us guys with harry arms run out of test material.     For quick tests, i just use my thumb nail... back when I could see really well, I could easily look at the edge of a knife and see if there were dull spots...  I can still see them if I look close through my progressive lenses... Too bad you didn't have like a macro lens, or a microscope to take photos with.
  • #25 by pmillen on 20 Feb 2018
  • Mine sits in a box. One weekend I finally opened it and sharpened every knife in my kitchen. It was easy to use and put a nice sharp edge on my knives and scissors. I bought this to replace a chefs choice. I would have to find it to see the model, but it has 3 stones. It sharpened great, but left the ugliest marks down the sides of my knives. After using it the first time I just figured the marks would go away. Nope, can't get rid if them. It never made sense to me because it looks like the side of the knife just slid against  plastic. I need to take a pic and post it.

Are you referring to a Lansky?
  • #26 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2018
  • Sorry guys, tractor issues that have to be dealt with.  I was reading yesterday, Paul, am I correct in assuming I will be using the 4 different grits?  So I sharpen both side with X, then both sides with Y (finer) etc., etc....?
  • #27 by pmillen on 20 Feb 2018
  • So I sharpen both side with X, then both sides with Y (finer) etc., etc....?

Exactly, start coarse and progress to the finest.  Did I sent you the gritless belt for stropping?
  • #28 by pmillen on 20 Feb 2018
  • Ever have a Cutco salesman come to your house?

No, but Costco had a vendor selling $1,000 knife sets Saturday.  It may have been Cutco.

Arm shaving works... :)    but after a while, even us guys with harry arms run out of test material.

True enough if you're sharpening several knives.  I don't often have to regrind the bevel on more than one at a time.  Actually I do...on Marcia's knives.  She has no respect for the knife.  But I don't put too fine an edge on them and don't do a shave-test.  It's a waste of time and carborundum.
  • #29 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2018
  • I do not believe there is a stropping belt, but I would probably just have issues with it anyway!  Tractor fix, I am so full of myself I am bursting, so we have a little wood clearing to finish tomorrow, but should get some paper shaved in the afternoon!
  • #30 by Old Smokey on 20 Feb 2018
  • Thanks to this thread I just spent the last two hours researching knife sharpening systems. The Wicked Edge System looks like the best, but boy is it ever expensive.
Pages:
Actions