Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Craig in Indy on 20 Feb 2018
  • The fantasy (and maybe they really are this sharp) ultimate test of sharpness for me would be the scene in 47 Ronin.  It is towards the end, they have all pledged their lives to avenge their Lord.  They are signing a document and marking it with their fingerprint in blood, they open their sword, lightly touch their thump to the blade and make their mark...

It is at the 2:30 mark...
    That is a sharp blade...

Beats the opening scene of "An Andalusian Dog (Un Chien Andalou)."  ;)
  • #32 by bproffer on 21 Feb 2018
  • Thanks to this thread I just spent the last two hours researching knife sharpening systems. The Wicked Edge System looks like the best, but boy is it ever expensive.

I have the Work Sharp Ken Onion as well as the Wicked Edge. I haven't used the Work Sharp since i bought the Wicked Edge. I got my WE used for an excellent price. Now I am slowly buying more stones for it.
  • #33 by briniker on 21 Feb 2018
  • Smith Products makes a precision sharpening system that is a lot cheaper and still produces an incredibly sharp knife.  I have had one for years and it works great.
  • #34 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2018
  • Tormek has released a slow-speed wet grindstone that's considerably less than their $1,000 unit (Japanese water stone).  It's called the T-4 and may be the next sharpening device I buy at about $425.
  • #35 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2018
  • Sorry, VFD cooking is conflicting with getting some video of this up!
  • #36 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2018
  • I sorry that I missed the "before" knives cutting paper.  Realize that all of them did not cut, they basically tore the paper.  I hope I have shown folks how the Product works.  It is pretty simple, and there maybe better sharpeners on the market, just not sure at this price.  I know it does a better job then the Niery unit I have that cost twice as much.  My knives have never been sharper.  If I had it to do again, I would certainly buy this unit over the one I have!

Work Sharp Video
  • #37 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2018
  • Video posted, pretty bad when it comes to cutting the paper for the "before" tests, but you sure se how well they cut that paper at the end.  And unless someone wants me to show them something specific, which I will be happy, I will be shipping this back to pmillin ASAP!

Thanks for all the comments folks!
  • #38 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Feb 2018
  • Thanks Paul for helping getting all our knives really sharp!!
  • #39 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Feb 2018
  • Where are the videos of slicing a tomato, a nail, an aluminum can, etc. ;D
  • #40 by yorkdude on 28 Feb 2018
  • Nicely done. I tried to like the video but don't have a google account.
    Thanks for doing it.
  • #41 by Plant175 on 28 Feb 2018
  • Been thinking about getting one and now you pushed me over the edge to buy one. If you go to a hunting or fishing show there is a guy selling them and throws a bunch more stuff into the deal.
  • #42 by Goosehunter51 on 01 Mar 2018
  • Excellent review, video was perfect.  Looks like even I could use that one.  I believe they will be at the Fred Hall show here in Bakersfield this weekend.  Might get me a good deal.
  • #43 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • I know Paul uses stones and the units like the Edge Pro, and I cant remember the other one, that have various grits of stones...I have use that Apex...It made the couple of knives I sharpened, literally scary!  I was afraid to use them.  Glen2626 brought one to the 2010 AR.  You could easily have shaved your face with a knife after using them.  But so much work and hand eye coordination!  I need Bentley proof stuff and this unit passes that test!
  • #44 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • After I karate chopped the tomato I was unable to use my hand!

Where are the videos of slicing a tomato, a nail, an aluminum can, etc. ;D
  • #45 by pmillen on 03 Mar 2018
  • Although the Work Sharp Ken Onion is a quick and easy way to sharpen a knife I'm not completely sold on it.  Here's why–

First some background
    Buy a butcher's steel if you want to keep your knives sharp.

This one is at least 50 years old.  It was my father's.  He lavished care on it so it never rusted and developed pits.

You'll notice that it's as smooth as glass.  It doesn't remove material from knives that are stroked across it, it just straightens out the microscopic burr that makes a knife less sharp.

If you visualize a knife edge, the steel tapers to a sharp point.  If that point were as sharp as absolutely possible, the cutting edge would be one molecule thick.  The first time you cut something that one molecule edge would bend and now the knife isn't as sharp.

Even though your knife blade doesn't end in a one molecule edge, that edge still rolls over (somewhat like a burr) as you use it.  But if you lay the knife's flat bevel along the steel and stroke it a few times the burr will straighten and the original sharpness will return.

But the Work Sharp's flexing belt doesn't grind a flat bevel.  It grinds a curve to a point.  This is taken from the owner's manual.

So, I have difficulty holding the knife to the proper angle when "steeling" it.  YMMV.
Pages:
Actions