Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor rust repair on 2015 GS  (Read 5946 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Minor rust repair on 2015 GS
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »

Anyone want to buy a Grand Slam before it burns through on me. ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 08:10:12 PM »

Be patient, I think the problem will be easy to solve.  Do you see the same problem on the underside of yours?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »

Be patient, I think the problem will be easy to solve.  Do you see the same problem on the underside of yours?

I have not looked.  Mine is a 2012 model that I bought used about 18 months ago.  It typically only gets used for chicken wings cooked in the 250-350 degree range.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »

I would think the manufacturer would be interested in resolving the hot spot issue.. Most people never look under their pit and would end up with some heavy duty rust.... In a way it was a good thing to have your igniter fail.
While Tim said that the current deflector was the best of all they tested, he did say he would bring the issue up in the next "meeting" they have.  So they are informed.  Will try the fire bricks out while waiting for my stainless stuff to arrive. Can get the bricks at local Ace. 
 :bbq:

okie smokie

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »

I would think the manufacturer would be interested in resolving the hot spot issue.. Most people never look under their pit and would end up with some heavy duty rust.... In a way it was a good thing to have your igniter fail.
While Tim said that the current deflector was the best of all they tested, he did say he would bring the issue up in the next "meeting" they have.  So they are informed.  Will try the fire bricks out while waiting for my stainless stuff to arrive. Can get the bricks at local Ace. 
 :bbq:
Had to order firebricks.  4.5 x 9 x 0.5 inches.  Found I could order as few as I needed.  Ordered two.  That should do it.  Meanwhile, SS stuff is on the way. 

okie smokie

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »

Received the firebricks today.  Have inserted them in the ideal positions and hope they stay put.  Will fire it up and test temps on high tomorrow.  See deployed bricks:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »

any risk of moisture getting underneath them and causing any issues if used long term?

okie smokie

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »

any risk of moisture getting underneath them and causing any issues if used long term?
They are not heavy, and I use the pit often enough that moisture is not likely.  Meanwhile, the SS stuff has arrived, so I will get the 4 holes drilled in the next several days, and will have my new deflector ready to test next week.  I did not plan to use the bricks long term anyhow, if the deflector works better for me.  The main idea being to get the fire deflected laterally, instead of downward. 

okie smokie

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »

Cranked the GS up to 500* today for pork chops.  With the fire bricks in the positions shown, the highest temp on the bottom was 418* in the area where it was over 620 without the bricks.  That is certainly satisfactory, since the unit was set to 500* and was at that temp for 15 minutes before I tested.  Certainly that would be satisfactory, but I still think it will be more efficient with the new deflector which will be completed tomorrow.  For those of you who are not finding the overheated spot on the bottom, I would not be concerned.  No sense in messing with a well designed and functional pit. We will see if the new deflector is more efficient with less heat loss thru the bottom of the pit.  Meanwhile with the 1/2" thick firebrick, the pit heated up rapidly and worked well.  More to follow. :bbq:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »

Good to know if I keep my grill.

KNIGHTDAD

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »

I just got done with a 15hr cook and decided to clean it out for another overnighter tonight. I noticed nothing like your experiencing. I do leave the sear tray in place at all times, it has a 3/8, air gap that may or may not correct the problems you are experiencing.

okie smokie

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

Good to know if I keep my grill.
Look underneath and see if there is a rust spot of any kind (would be near the center , around the cover plate for the starter).  I would be interested to know if my problem is unique or common.  :help:

okie smokie

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »

Got er dun today!  Drilling 3/16 304SS is hard!  Here is the finished product.  Cranked the GS up to 500* and let it burn for 15-20 min.  Highest temp in the same spot was 531*  about 100 degrees cooler, (it was a warmer day today also), and that was the hottest it got.  The grill worked perfectly otherwise.  Have to remember that the hot spot is very close to the firepot above, so am not surprised that the temp on the adjacent bottom is very hot.  BUT I'll take 100* cooler as a significant improvement.  Gonna stay with the new deflector for now.  I used 6" SS bolts which resulted in the deflector being 5.5" off the bottom.  Perfect fit.   :cool: :clap: :cool: :bbq:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »

how much did that cost you to make?  what was your list of parts?  I may have my dad make me one.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »

Sounds like the firebrick resulted in cooler temp than your new plate. I’ve had no issues with my G I but thinking the firebrick might be a good preventative measure...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up